Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serge thread? >

Serge thread?

Serge thread?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:49 PM

I have a small serge machine and need to know what is the difference in serge thread and regular thread. Can you use any polyester thread?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Monie
I have a small serge machine and need to know what is the difference in serge thread and regular thread. Can you use any polyester thread?
serger thread is a lesser quality thread. It is not SPUN as tight, so it tends to lint like crazy in a regular machine!

It does not have to be polyester thread either. It can be cotton.

it comes on the large economic cones, because serging takes nearly 3 times the thread as regular sewing!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:06 PM

So I can use regular thread on the serge?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:31 PM

You can use regular thread of course but at added expense. I usually use a neutral color in the loopers and a matching color in the needle. For the needle I use regular thread unless I already gave that color in a serger cone that I already have.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

i've been using serger thread for a long time- for piecing, hand sewing, quilting---
i do not get tons of lint- in fact in many cases-i've switched to it because the (other thread) is too linty.
it is strong- and comes in hundreds of colors-
we use *maxilock*
my mother bought up a stores supply 25 years ago when they were going out of business- in SanDiego-
she brought something like 10,000 cones of thread home to Michigan with her-
i don't use it exclusively- i use many many different threads- but i have never had any problems with the serger threads.
they are a thinner(60wt) but i tend to like finer threads so that appeals to me-
i've made a few hundred quilts in the past 10-15 years or so---none have ever fallen apart because i used serger thread.
if the needle you are using is not the correct size for the thread you are using it will cause extra lint- because the needle eye is shaving the thread as it passes through- thats one reason for extra lint- but i have horrible lint from quilt shop-cotton threads---never serger (maxilock) thread.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:18 AM

Thank you all.monie
Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 AM

So how do I know what size needle to use?
Thanks
Originally Posted by ckcowl
i've been using serger thread for a long time- for piecing, hand sewing, quilting---
i do not get tons of lint- in fact in many cases-i've switched to it because the (other thread) is too linty.
it is strong- and comes in hundreds of colors-
we use *maxilock*
my mother bought up a stores supply 25 years ago when they were going out of business- in SanDiego-
she brought something like 10,000 cones of thread home to Michigan with her-
i don't use it exclusively- i use many many different threads- but i have never had any problems with the serger threads.
they are a thinner(60wt) but i tend to like finer threads so that appeals to me-
i've made a few hundred quilts in the past 10-15 years or so---none have ever fallen apart because i used serger thread.
if the needle you are using is not the correct size for the thread you are using it will cause extra lint- because the needle eye is shaving the thread as it passes through- thats one reason for extra lint- but i have horrible lint from quilt shop-cotton threads---never serger (maxilock) thread.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:29 AM

I was thinking the same thing myself.Connie in CO
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 AM

I have used serger thread on my longarm and it sews just fine. It does have lots of lint though so, it would 't be my first choice. I find Maxi lock solid has lots of slubs so therefore it tends to break more. I really think that the varigated sewed really well. Looks great on a quilt.