Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Serger

Smile Serger

I am wondering what kind of serger most quilt boarders are using? I have a Kenmore overlock 3/4 that belonged to my mother. Have been having trouble rethreading it and was looking for a tutorial on how that work's also? Any help will be appreciated. Thank's, Fay.

I have a White, an Elna, a Singer, and a Toyota. They each have different threading. You just about have to have a book or someone to actually show you how to thread it. If you have a book, you will find probably a long handlge pair of tweezers helpful as well as a threading loop, makes it much easier to thread some of the harder machines. Not much help, sorry.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I have the Brother 1034. Haven't had a chance to do much with it yet but I've used it for a few things and like it.

I have a Bernina 1300. If I had it to do over again I would probably by just a plain 4 thread Bernina and a separate cover stitch only machine. Did have a Pfaff serger but too hard to thread for me.

mltquilt

I have a Husqvarna Viking 936...it's a 5 spool and I love it. Had a small Singer for my first one and it was ok...this one is much better and more versatile.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I have a old Singer, and a old viking. I use them both a lot.

I too am in the market for a serger - so thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to come across one one day in a garage sale. I did see one a few years ago but I didn't think I wanted one then. Isn't that the way it goes?

I have a 1000L Huskylock by Viking. It was a used one I bought many years ago. Never had a problem with it. Still works like a charm. pat

I just bought a new Brother Project Runway limited edition, it is so easy to thread and I love it

Blog Entries
    I have a Babylock evolve and I LOVE it. the loopers are air threaded and it's a blessing.

I have an old Singer that is hard to thread. I really want the new Imagine or Enlighten by Baby Lock. They are self threaders and sew on any fabric without having to adjust the pressure.

I am on my second Bernina Serger. The first one I used a lot but it was not easy to thread. I traded it in on my current one which is a Bernina 1150MDA . It is much easier to thread as you don't have to start over completely when a thread breaks etc. To change colors you just tie on the next color thread and start stitching again. I produce about 20 Linus quilts a month using it for the basic construction and then finish off with some basic machine quilting on my regular machine. I recently started making Princess Pillowcase dresses. I use the serger to finish off all of the raw edges on the fabric. If you take a good look at most of your ready to wear clothing the majority of it's construction was done with a serger. Since the models are constantly changing you might be able to pick up a great machine that someone else traded in for a great price.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have a Singer Serger that is so hard to thread. I finally gave up. It cost $500 but I guess I should have paid for a really good one. Do people quilt with these?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Conartist1945 View Post
    I have a Babylock evolve and I LOVE it. the loopers are air threaded and it's a blessing.
    I have the same one-it is by far the best serger I have ever owned.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

What do you use yours for? Mine sits neglected next to my regular machine. I rarely use it at all and now seems like a waste of money for me. ????

Mine too sits there most of the time. I use for doll clothes, serging ends of fabric before washing, etc. Can't say it gets a lot of use. I worked for an hour the other night to get it re-threaded and still not there. Leaves me in a dilema - don't use it enough to warrant a big dollar purchase but when you need it you need it.

I have a viking husky lock 910, poor machine just sits and begs me to learn, but as yet I have not, sorry no help here.

Mine is a very early model Bernina - 3 threads and a beast to thread. I worked on it the other day for a long time and finally gave up. I'm ready for a newer (new) one but so far haven't decided if I really use it enough to pay to get one. I want one that sews the seam and serges the edges at the same time. Mine only serges.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

I have two Brother 1034D and a Babylock Lauren. All are easy to thread (Brother easier than Babylock). I think if you have the model number of your Kenmore you should be able to find the manual at www.managemylife.com-the site for Sears product manuals. It might help with the threading difficulty you are having.

Pat