Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger >

serger

serger

Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM

Default serger

Looking for some advice on buying a serger. Not too expensive but good quality. What do you have?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Before deciding on what serger you want, decide what features you need based on what kind of sewing you plan to do it. One of the biggest differences is whether it does a coverstitch (that double-needle hem at the bottom of t-shirts). A machine that does coverstitch as well as a variety of seam finishes is called a combo machine. Some people perfer to have a seperate coverstitch-only machine rather than a combo. Mine is a combo machine that does 3/4/5 threads.

I have a Bernina serger but they are made by Juki so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Juki serger. I hear that Babylock is considered a cadillac of sergers but I have never used one so I can't say. I did have a dealer show me the Babylock air threading and I am sure that makes it easier, but I've never really had any dificulty threading mine after I learned how. It takes a few minutes, and converting it to coverstitch (unthreading and re-threading an entirely different path) takes a few minutes, but I don't find it difficult, just time consuming.

Your best bet is to visit dealers and test sew the models that fit your price range. Have them show you how to thread since that is the part that a lot of people find difficult. If you don't have a local dealer, I am sure there are Ytube videos showing threading process. You might find a beter price from an online dealer (like Allbrands.com or Amazon) but check of a local dealer would have classes to help you learn to use it and make it more worthwhile to buy local.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM

I have a Bernina serger. I make about 20 Linus quilts a month and lots of other charitable sewing. I use it to finish off all of the raw edges on the Princess Pillowcase dresses I sew and I use it to do the first three seams that go around the Linus quilts I made envelope style. Threading them is the hardest thing to learn. Once you have done it you figure out how to just tie on a new spoil of thread before the first one is completely finished. They all you have to do is either sew or pull the new thread through to change color or just refill the one you had. You will find that the majority of commercial sewing is done on a serger. I don't know what I would do without mine.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM

I got a Juki MO644 from allbrands.com last year. The price was right and it has everything I need.

http://www.allbrands.com/categories/...ct_description
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 AM

i have the janome serger and really like it. had no troubles here.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Not knowing if I was really going to use one (and honestly, haven't really), I went the used route. I did make sure it was a 3/4 thread machine with differential feed. Paid $40 from a craigslist seller. Had the machine serviced as the tension was off - known issue when purchasing. Then took a class for about $30 to learn how to actually use the machine. Very good class/instructor and the books were great (included in class fee). So for under $200 I have a pretty decent machine (older Brother) that will do the jobs I think I might do someday.

I'm happy with the route that I took and the machine that I have. Skyangel has very good advice and valid points.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM

I have a Huskylock by Viking for years. Very pleased with it.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Babylock jet air threading reduces my stress!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Brother 1034D. About $200. Doesn't have air threading but I don't change thread all that often and when I do I tie new to old and pull through to needles. For me is does a nice job. It has differential feed too.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM

I have a 2-3-4 thread Elna serger that comes with cards that tell you how to thread it and the different tensions for the different stitches. I love it. It doesn't have a cover stitch function, but what it does, it does beautifully. I bought it from my dealer several years ago and it came with start-up classes. I've made placemats, napkins, scarves, doll clothes, summer capris, etc. it won't cook dinner or give me a pedicure, but it does what I need it to, well. Jmho.