Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger >

serger

serger

Old 02-09-2020, 07:59 PM

Default serger

Hi Quilters, I wanted to show and ask if any of you have ever had this problem. When I was serging something one day I had what I thought was a straight pin come up and I couldn't do anything but pull it out. I use long straight pins with a yellow glass head but there was no head on it. well, it was bent so I threw it away. Weeks later I realized it was a pin from my needle plate. Now one of my lower looper threads doesn't have anywhere to go as it wraps around this pin to make the stitches. Have you ever replaced just a pin or do you have to buy the needle plate? Photo shows one pin missing.
Attached Thumbnails img_3947-qb-web.jpg  
Old 02-09-2020, 08:52 PM

A Bernina or Juki dealer can get replacement pins for Juki and Bernina sergers, but not for other brands. Brewer Sewing Supply doesn't carry pins for sergers. The Bernina/Juki pins are too thick to replace other brands. You can get a replacement needle plate, but not likely just the pin for that particular plate. A good resource to check is Sewingpartsonline.com
Old 02-10-2020, 05:48 AM

It looks as athough the pin was soldered in place on the needle plate so the entire plate would require replacing.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
A Bernina or Juki dealer can get replacement pins for Juki and Bernina sergers, but not for other brands. Brewer Sewing Supply doesn't carry pins for sergers. The Bernina/Juki pins are too thick to replace other brands. You can get a replacement needle plate, but not likely just the pin for that particular plate. A good resource to check is Sewingpartsonline.com
That is where I looked and found the plate. I also emailed them and am waiting for a reply to see if they have just the pin. I think I ordered my treadle belt from them, very reasonably priced. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2020, 07:54 AM

Looks like a new plate to me also. I wore out two on my old serger. She finally gave it up and I had to buy a new one.