Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger thread question >

Serger thread question

Serger thread question

Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jeri6
I just set the cone on the table at the end of my sewing machine (close to my machine) and bring the thread up the end of the sewing machine and across the top and thread it the regular way. On the top of my machine I just bring the thread on one side of the post and that holds it from falling off. I never have had any problems with it comming off the top of the cone this way. I do this alot with big projects that take alot of thread.
thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Ok, you guys are the best, and too funny lol. Would you believe, i thought the cone was sposed to spin like a regular spool of thread lol. Ok, so this is very cool. I normally buy wal-mart thread for 50 cents, 125 meters on a spool. I bought a cone of serger thread at the dollar store, 1200 meters! Ten times as much for just a buck, so that's why i wanted to try it. And when you guys said the thread gets pulled from the top, i laughed and said, NO WAY!!! lol lol So i put the cone on the floor, and yanked and yanked on the thread, and silly cone didnt even fall over! lol lol This is too funny, i had no idea how the cones worked, just thought hey, worth trying. Thanks for the hint, that i can just put the spool on my sewing table, now i'm all set to go. You guys are always too darn smart, amazing what we learn from each other :)
Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 AM

My sewing machine sits on the left, and I have my serger on the right (side by side). In a pinch, I've put a cone on the serger post for what would be the #1 position and sewn from there. :lol:
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 AM

I use serger thread all the time (have cases left over from my dress shop) I put it in a larger Mason jar next to my machine and then feed it the same as regular spool thread.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

What a money saving tip. So now I have more money for fabric. :-D :-D
Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 AM

This is such a timely topic for me. I have been thinking of using serger thread too. For whoever asked, Bonnie Hunter posted on her blog a year or so ago about it. According to her, she uses it frequently.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 AM

I use serger thread mainly on my Tin Lizzie--she loves it. Don't be afraid to use it as well as other poly thread. Unless you are doing an heirloom, cotton is not necessary. For years I thought this--had to be good cotton thread. I have since learned through other long armers anything goes. I can now say I am not a thread snob! LOL Actually poly is stronger.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Thanks Fran! I am definetly not a thread snob either, or fabric. I call myself cheap, but DH just says I'm frugal! Being on Social Security, we have to watch every penny and I have LOTS of Maxilock in many different colors. Will definetly try it.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 AM

I use it and I put the cone in a cup at the rear of my machine, then bring thread up and over the top, thread as usual.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM

I use it for bobbin thought it was too thin for other stuff (according to sewing shop) now I will start using it for other thanks