Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Thread??? >

Serger Thread???

Serger Thread???

Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Serger thread is 50 wt., just like Mettler thread. I can only use 50 wt. cones and was told that if I want colored thread to try Serger thread. Not a thing wrong with using Serger thread! My Bernina loves it!! Gutermann is 40 wt and my machine refuses to sew with it. Am going to the dealer and finding out why. I paid enough that it should sew with 40 wt and should sew with spools, not just cones. Amy Gibson, famous for her sewing, uses 50 wt. Presencia thread, like I use now. Don't let anyone tell you it's not strong enough. It is! If they buy spools of Mettler, they are buying 50 wt.
Any serger thread I've seen for sale is much thinner than 50 wt. Presencia sells 50wt. cotton thread on spools. If you are having issues with your Bernina 830 I would suspect it's because you're using serger thread. The new 830E's are very fussy about using quality thread. If you're feeding serger thread through it, I question why your dealer would tell you that.

People may be misunderstanding that a cone of thread is serger thread. It is not. There are many, quality brands of thread on cones that are not serger threads. This is a thin, serger thread, 100% polyester http://sewtrue.com/Store/Maxi-Lock-S...EACH-P184.html

Superior threads has a free (for now) CD that will teach you the different applications for the different types of thread on the market.

Superior threads say, "Serger Thread
Because sergers (overlock machines) simultaneously use multiple cones of thread, there are many cheap serger threads on the market. The cones of serger thread available at discount chain stores are an inexpensive spun poly. These are OK when used for serging but not recommended for other applications. Multi-filament polyester thread such as So Fine! #50 makes a clean, lint-free serger thread but is more expensive than spun poly. Omni Thread is a poly-wrapped poly core thread ideal for serging."

Last edited by Candace; 12-07-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM

I have done it lots of times. If its older thread , do the break test before using to make sure its still strong. If you have any questions about its strenght... check a regular spool of thread ( new or newer) see if still is compartively strong.
Most serger thread is 2 ply and most regular thread is 3 ply....
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Serger thread is made with short staple, not long or extra long staple. Thread is one thing Ive never skimped on. I feel with the price of fabric and my effort, i dont want the project to go south over time because of the wrong thread. I do buy serger thread but only for serger. Here is info about difference in threads.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...ruction-thread
Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 AM

Can you use serger thread to applique? I have cones of what people say is serger thread which came free with sewing machines. I want to do some applique and the colours are just correct for these pieces. I will be using sticky of some form to hold pieces down before sewing edges.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Spun poly thread is the cheapest thread you can buy.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Can you use serger thread to applique? I have cones of what people say is serger thread which came free with sewing machines. I want to do some applique and the colours are just correct for these pieces. I will be using sticky of some form to hold pieces down before sewing edges.
Cone thread is not necessarily serger thread. MANY great, quilting thread comes on cones. If it's the spun polyester junk that is really serger thread...there are better options. There are so many delicious threads out there!