Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sergers --- Do you have one?

Sergers --- Do you have one?

If you have a serger, let's talk.

Have you bonded with it? Do you like using it for projects? Do you have any special tips?

I have the 0vation and love it. It is generally set up with a 4 thread over-lock but easy to change out. Our LQS has monthly classes and special events so lots of projects to learn. Mine is stored in the rolling tote and not set-up so that is a factor to the infrequent use. Hopefully, it will find table space soon in the sewing room.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    bonded with mine. Its a foot stool in my workroom.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Yes I use mine often. It might make the quilt police gasp, but I sometimes serge my quilt blocks once they are done if I know I'm not going to get them into a finished top in a hurry. I also serge my tops so they don't fray like crazy during the quilting process.

For dressmaking I use four needles, but for quilt blocks I use just three needles.
    Quilters do not make mistakes, only variations

1912 White Rotary Treadle, 1942 Singer 66-16, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I have an Ovation also, and bought a whole pack of extra feet for it. Took the class and really loved learning about it.

I use to do a lot of clothing sewing, and used my older serge a lot. Decided after 30 years, it was time to upgrade. So far I've not used it on anything quilt related. I have a long table for my machines, so it's got it's own spot. It is slid over in this picture to make room for binding a large quilt.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I have an Ovation also, and bought a whole pack of extra feet for it. Took the class and really loved learning about it.

I have a long table for my machines, so it's got it's own spot. It is slid over in this picture to make room for binding a large quilt.

Love that setup!

bonded with mine. Its a foot stool in
    What great thinking! Now I know what to do with mine.

my workroom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    bonded with mine. Its a foot stool in my workroom.
    Great idea. Mine is holding down a shelf in the basement.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I'm trying to sell mine. Maybe the footstool idea would work for me too. LOL

I have a Juki MO 1000 and I love it. I use mine all the time along with my Babylock Coverstitch machine since I do a lot of garment sewing. These machines make what I do very enjoyable.

I recently bought one at an estate sale thinking that I would make knit clothing for my granddaughter, but still haven't figured out how to use it.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I have had a serger since I could afford one in 1984. I have worn out one and bought another because I can't imagine sewing without one anymore. I mostly keep mine to overlock three thread. But for knits, the four threads come in handy. I don't use it for quilting, just clothing and home dec. I love it.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Yes, I have one. A low end Bernina, and it decorates an upper shelf. Haven't used it in years.....
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I have a basic Brother 1034D which I can thread pretty easily. I found a video tutorial which helped a lot. I keep it set up. I don't use it for quilts but do for other things like clothes, costumes, rolled hems etc.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I also have a serger, the Ovation. I love it, nothing seems complete unless some of it has been serged. I've used it to make quilts, table runners, tablecloths, pillows, and of course clothes. I have a sewing table from Joann's that has a small swing out part and most of the time I use it right there. If I'm going to serge something big then I move it to the dinning room table. It is easy to use rather its overlock, 4thread is what I use the most or coverstitch, it all works great.
    Judy

I have a Juki 654DE and I love it! I've had it for over 10 years, made countless serger quilts and garments and curtains, etc with it. I serge the end of fabric when I prewash (which I hardly do) and yes, I often will serge the edges of a flimsy or the finished sandwich. Use it all the time.

I have a Janome serger that I've never used and an ancient Tuffylock that I love to use. It's a beast, haven't found anything yet that it won't cut/sew through.

Cari

I bought my first serger in ‘81 i used it for clothes and home dec items for year and years. It finally died 7 or 8 years ago, and I got a Bernina TOL which is really a slightly modified Juki. I don’t do clothes as much as I used to, but I make fitted sheets for cribs and Pack ‘n Plays, plus some for a NICU. The elastic application foot is wonderful! I also generally serge the edges of my quilts before I put the binding on. It gives me a nice solid edge.

Wow! Sounds like some great projects with sergers. Thanks everyone for the inspiration to get going again! Seems like there is never enough time to stitch!

Macybaby, Thanks for the pics of your set-up. That is really nice to have the machines ready to go. Love the power strip on the wall. I have a similar one for my iron station. Those EMB arms always take up precious space.

Mary Katherine, Oh Dear! Giggles, I hope you start using it again for stitching!

Romanojg, The air thread is so nice. Just a tip for you. I had the threading guide sheets enlarged and laminated at the local office store. They are much easier to follow if needed. Have you attended any of the 3 day events by BL for your serger? They are packed with great techniques.

Thank you Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I recently bought one at an estate sale thinking that I would make knit clothing for my granddaughter, but still haven't figured out how to use it.
    Curious---- how do you make knit clothing with a serger.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Wow! Sounds like some great projects with sergers. Thanks everyone for the inspiration to get going again! Seems like there is never enough time to stitch!

Macybaby, Thanks for the pics of your set-up. That is really nice to have the machines ready to go. Love the power strip on the wall. I have a similar one for my iron station. Those EMB arms always take up precious space.

Mary Katherine, Oh Dear! Giggles, I hope you start using it again for stitching!

Romanojg, The air thread is so nice. Just a tip for you. I had the threading guide sheets enlarged and laminated at the local office store. They are much easier to follow if needed. Have you attended any of the 3 day events by BL for your serger? They are packed with great techniques.

Thank you Everyone!
    We have the sew n vac here and they are always doing an event. I also got a free one yr of serger club and then bought another year. I learned so much. I love the threading guide, it makes things so much nicer. I might have to try the enlarging thing. Thanks for the tip
    Judy

I have had the Baby Lock Imagine for about 15 years. Love it and use it often. I see that the Ovation is being replaced with the triumph. Really had my heart set on the Ovation now will have to rethink this. Maybe I can still get the Ovation at a dealer.

I have a Bernina and I love it but wish I used it more. It's great for when I make shirts. I have a quilt idea using it and having the decorative seams on the outside. There are so many threads out there to experiment with....like, what is wooly nylon???

Blog Entries
    I have one, and a friend of mine had small bed pillows and large cases. So I changed 47 of them for her on my serger. Nothing to it. Just mark off what you need and go to it on the serger.ha.

Blog Entries
    I have a babylock 25 yr old serger that I fight with on a regular basis. I also have a brother cheapo serger that I bought during the last amazon prime day and so far (knock wood) it works fine. I haven't had a fight with it yet.

eta: I've heard good things about the serger basics class at craftsy. I bought it but haven't watched much of it yet.

I have a brother lock 1034D. I love using it. Have a bigger table in my sewing room. So I'm going to leave it up all the time. I could have had a bigger table all along. Just needed a leaf put in it. I cleaned my sewing room and got some stuff out of my room I will not use. Put a leaf in my table for more room. Got flowers growing in my window. Fixed my sliding sewing machine with the stuff you use for rugs so it doesn't slide. Why does it take use so long to fix are sewing room so we can really in joy the room?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast