Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Set Seams or Not to Set -- The Why's and Wherefore's!!!! >

To Set Seams or Not to Set -- The Why's and Wherefore's!!!!

To Set Seams or Not to Set -- The Why's and Wherefore's!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

A video that might help -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0UT613ugmg
Old 05-14-2011, 06:02 AM

Okay seam setters please don't gasp - I used to set seams, was told by a fellow guild member (when I was a newbie) that I must ALWAYS set seams. Well one day while working on a project I thought 'what if I don't?' and guess what? I found no difference except that I had saved myself some time. I shared this with a few guild members, now there are a few of us rebel non-seam setters. I guess if I noticed a difference I would have continued to set the seams but now I have more time sewing time and less pressing time. JMHO
Old 05-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I set the seams before pressing...for the same reason that MTS and ckowl said...
Me too!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 AM

Setting the seams presses the thread into the fibers of the fabric and makes a smoother seam so that when you press the seam to the side or open the result is much smoother and flatter, and pressing the seams always goes better and looks better. Some might ask why the looks would matter, and the answer is that the looks of each process affects the looks of the processes that come after, and the final result, the one that all will see when they see your quilt is that it looks great! That's what we want :-D
Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I always set them. I was taught that way and it seems to lay nice and flat when I do. I can tell a difference in the final press. So it works for me.
I agree. It only takes a second and the result is worth the little extra effort.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I first saw the concept of "setting seams" in the tutorials from Missouri Star Quilting Co. They always do it...
http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/
But as for me, I don't really notice a difference if I do it or not. I enjoyed reading all your comments to understand some of the rationale behind setting seams.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Best teacher I ever had in home ec (in any subject) taught us to set the seam before pressing open back in 7th grade in 1951.
Also she handed out a handbook she drew up on health practices and etiquite. I never forgot the one "a lady never walks and smokes". Can you see that being suggested now? Whenever I see a woman walking and smoking, I know she is stupid but also not a lady. I can say she is stupid because I was a smoker for 40 years and you can believe I never walked while holding a cigarette LOL. Take care.
Linda
Old 05-14-2011, 07:11 AM

I've been doing that for years but never called it setting a seam. Just part of the sewing process, I do it on just about everything I sew. My Momma did it that way and she taught me how to sew...that was good enough for me. Never questioned "why"; it's cause Momma said so! LOL
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM

I set the seam also. I think it sets the threads into the fabric and the seam is flat.
Originally Posted by np3
I always set them. I was taught that way and it seems to lay nice and flat when I do. I can tell a difference in the final press. So it works for me.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by majormom
Setting the seams presses the thread into the fibers of the fabric and makes a smoother seam so that when you press the seam to the side or open the result is much smoother and flatter, and pressing the seams always goes better and looks better. Some might ask why the looks would matter, and the answer is that the looks of each process affects the looks of the processes that come after, and the final result, the one that all will see when they see your quilt is that it looks great! That's what we want :-D
I sure do agree with you.. :thumbup: :thumbup: