Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Set Seams or Not to Set -- The Why's and Wherefore's!!!! >

To Set Seams or Not to Set -- The Why's and Wherefore's!!!!

To Set Seams or Not to Set -- The Why's and Wherefore's!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by sinceresissy
Maybe this is a machine sewing thing. I am hand sewing so maybe it is not the same thing. .
Yes, that is exactly what is meant. Jinny Beyer hand pieces and she does exactly what you do. Maybe setting seams applies primarily to machine piecing.........
This actually makes sense.

When you're hand piecing, the thread isn't as thick as when machine piecing. It's only one layer, evenly distributed. It's not looping a top and bobbin thread together so it's much flatter to begin with.

So, yeah, it probably is just a machine sewing thing.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Another reason for setting seams --- try this test: sew two 3" seam sections. Press one to "set the seam," but not the other. Now "unstitch" both sections. Notice how tight the "set" seam is. Also notice how the thread has been pressed into the fabric. I sew with 50/2 (usually Masterpiece) thread and I set my seams. This way I don't have to rely on my interpretation of what a "scant quarter" seam is.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Great Reply MT. I always set my seams, but only because that is how I was taught, even way back in the 7th grade (about 50 years ago). Now I know why.
Thanks again,

Originally Posted by MTS
The reason is along the same lines as the "scant" quarter-inch theory.

The thread takes up space.
So if you just sew them and press them (open or to the side), you're not getting it as flat as you can because there is a bit of a bump there from the thread.

Can you see it from the space shuttle?
No.

But try it. Take two scraps and sew them together.
Feel the thread line.
Now just take you iron and press it on the seam line.
Feel again. You can feel how it's nice and smooth.
So now when you go to press the seams (again, open or to the side depending on your preference or situation), it will be flatter.

Also, when you go press the seam to the side, you'll get less tucks and pleats. I just find they move better when the seams are set.

So set the seams, press, and this is where you can bring starch in if you want, press again.

I like my seams and blocks to be as flat as wallpaper.

As for time spent, it's negligible. ;-)
Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 PM

I always set my seams. They lay so flat and even. The best thing is using a Steady Betty for pressing when you quilt. Couldn't live without a Steady Betty and the Bright Light on my machine. Both are so worth the cost.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Oh wise, ladies and gents ... do tell ...

Do you set your seams? or not?
(before you press them open, or to the sides)

What purpose does it serve?
If you do it some of the time ... what situations are the times?

What is the return on your time investment in doing such?

I'm looking forward to the discussion on this as I am totally between and betwixt, and need some input as to the why-to!!
I do set my seams before pressing to one side or open. The purpose of doing this is that it embeds the stitches in the fabrics and your stitches are less likely to show when your block is pressed.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
What does it mean to set seams? I've seen that before but I don't know what it means.

Thanks,
Dorian
While keeping the two pieces you just sewed together, with their right sides together, press along the sewing line. It makes the thread in the seam "sink into" the fabric.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 PM

I always do. No matter how well I think I've sewn the seam, the setting smooths it out much better. It's supposed to embed the stitching threads in the seam allowance for a flatter piece.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM

This is a good question! Kind of like do you pre-wash. Those who do, do. Those who don't, won't lol

I started by not setting seams. Gradually started to do them, and like the nice flatness pressing gives. Butting seam up against each other, like say in a 9 patch, is so much easierwith pressed.

As for open seam pressing , or pressing one side, this really depends on how I am setting the piecing together. If the bulk can be reduced by pressing seams open, then do it. If not, press to one side.

The answers here are insightful and interesting.

Julie
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 PM

If I understand correctly - it sets the seam into the fabric better and allows the seams to lay a little flatter. That's how I understand it. :|
Old 05-15-2011, 04:24 AM

What we are dealing with on this topic is a construction issue. We are all basically engineering quilts. We do certain things to make that construction stronger. This is one of them. It's an old dressmaker's trick to "marry" the stitching threads to the threads of the fabric at the seam to increase stability and durability. Think about nailing a nail head down even with the board as well. Stronger, smoother, etc.
If your quilt is not going to be used or stressed over time (like wall hangings are) then perhaps setting the seam or not won't make much difference. But my investment of time alone mandates that I put my "covers quilts" together to withstand washing, tugging, folding, and the rigors of life as a used quilt. I set seams. You bet I do!