Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting Prices for Commissioned Quilts >

Setting Prices for Commissioned Quilts

Setting Prices for Commissioned Quilts

Old 04-28-2010, 03:04 PM

I was ask to make a T-shirt quilt for someone. I don't know how many t-shirts there are, but was told a big bag. I know I can meet with them and discuss which t-shirt to include after a size is selected.

The t-shirt quilt I have made was more than just sashing. The quilt is a gift for my mom on mother's day. How do I know what to charge the person (Lap, Twin, Full, Queen, King)? Do I keep it simple (just plain straight sashing)? Do I purchase their fabric and batting? How much do I charge for quilting? or is that included in the price? Is there a standard quilter's contract? Do I ask for half the price in advance?

I am an advance quilter, but never had the desire to sew for others in the past only sew gifts for others. I have taught others to quilt in private lessons. Now, I am coming out of my comfort zone to sew for others. Please help me!

Tea
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM

I know you will get many helpful responses. I wanted to be sure you benefited from this post as well. It gives very good detail.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42701-1.htm
Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I went to your suggested link and gotten a good idea how to price my quilt. Again thanks.

Tea
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 AM

Here is how I charge- each t-shirt $10 Each photo sheet $10.
fabric for sashing, borders, backing, and binding -according to yd. price. I charge a fee for the quilting as if a customer brought it in to me, if it is an allover my starting charge is 1.5 cents a square inch. I charge for batting. This is not a cheap endeavor. I have been turned down to make these quilts because they were well over $200. especially when they wanted lots of photos.
Let us know how it works for you.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Banned

I searched for t shirt quilts and found a web site where they will make t shirt quilts. I don't have time to search this morning but if you do perhaps you will find it. It gave good information about how the group charges to make the quilt
Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 AM

It really depends a lot on how well you know the person (No, you don't charge less to friends, a good friend knows that your time is valuable and will be happy to pay what you are worth), how complicated, what size, and how much time it takes you to make it. Charge actual price for the materials, even tax if you paid it (If you have a business license you don't pay taxes)and a reasonable amount for your time. If you charge too much the customer may not come back (yes, sometimes this is good) but you need to value yourself first. You can either charge by the hour, regardless if you are piecing or quilting, or charge less for the piecing time and more for the quilting time. some people charge more for complicated quilting designs and less for simple ones.

I always prefer to make a quilt and then sell it for the price I would be willing to pay if I went to a place and saw it. I have done a few commissioned and may never do it again, unless is a remake of an already made by me but in another color or size.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
It really depends a lot on how well you know the person (No, you don't charge less to friends, a good friend knows that your time is valuable and will be happy to pay what you are worth), how complicated, what size, and how much time it takes you to make it. Charge actual price for the materials, even tax if you paid it (If you have a business license you don't pay taxes)and a reasonable amount for your time. If you charge too much the customer may not come back (yes, sometimes this is good) but you need to value yourself first. You can either charge by the hour, regardless if you are piecing or quilting, or charge less for the piecing time and more for the quilting time. some people charge more for complicated quilting designs and less for simple ones.

I always prefer to make a quilt and then sell it for the price I would be willing to pay if I went to a place and saw it. I have done a few commissioned and may never do it again, unless is a remake of an already made by me but in another color or size.
how true, I agree