Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting triangles >

Setting triangles

Setting triangles

Old 02-29-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Setting triangles

I am doing a (what I thought was simple!) pattern to use up scraps. It is heart shapes set on-point - 11 inch finished block. I have started to sash in-between heart shape in one direction and am now coming to the setting and corner triangles. I know how to calculate them with the formula but I cant work out if I should leave the ends 'unsashed' and use 11 as finished block or if I should put my 1.5 finished sashing on and use 12.5 as finished block size? Or something else? The more I think about it the more confused I get... can anyone help?
Old 02-29-2020, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

You can leave off the sashing if you are doing setting triangles and just add a border, up to you.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Setting Quilts on Point - the easy way!
this might help. i measure the square or block on point (across corner to corner) and then cut square that measures that across corner to corner.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:12 PM

I seem to like 112 1/2" blocks for the most convenient place in the majority of my quilts. However 12 1/2" blocks are not always practical when building the perfect quilt. This quilt sounds like it will do with the original size of 11" square. Placing a border around the entire quilt top may add to the over all finish. Setting those triangles is not as difficult as it sound. Having those hearts on point will be stunning.