Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting Up a Quilt/Craft Room >

Setting Up a Quilt/Craft Room

Setting Up a Quilt/Craft Room

Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Here is a link to my sewing room.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-34860-1.htm

My newest addition is my "design wall" I haven't posted a picture of it yet. It's a 4 x 4 piece of Luaun (thin plywood) covered with a thin pad and anti pill fleece. Monday My husband is going to put up a wooden curtain rod in the spare room so I can hang quilts from to photograph.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM

I've always been blessed with a small space. So I've got used to having most things within reach. I find it very convenient to just swivel on my stool to reach almost everything I need.

This poses a problem when I need to spread things out for visual effects. But there is a spare bedroom just across the hall.

I also have got used to keeping my stash farther away. It's downstairs now. Actually, it's great to have a walking break; get fabric, get a drink, check dinner, go to the bathroom, feel ready to sew again!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-7945-1.htm Here's my old thread about the sewing room

Marcia, what a great list. I bookmarked this topic so I can come back and check out everyone's spaces.

NHSOMND thanks for asking this question.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 AM

I live with my daughter and have a small space to sew. I stay in the room that was once her family room . One end is for sleeping(excuse the mess) and the other for quilting. You can see which is most important to me. lol Any way I have changed this room around about 10 times in the last 8 years. I think I finally have it pretty well set up for me. I got rid of a table to make more room. I felt really crowded . I miss the extra table space but don't feel as claustrophobic as I did. I put up the shelves myself. Painted cheap grade boards and the shelves are from cheap broken book cases. All my fabric is in the white baskets by color pretty much. My serger is on an old typing table a neighbor was going to throw away. I bought the drawer units little by little over the years and they hold all the other things besides fabric. Being on a very limited budget I had to make do with a lot of things. But basically what I am saying is the room Has to suit YOU and you may have to live with it and change it around until you get it just right.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1040.jpe   attachment-1041.jpe  
Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Wow! I am sure glad that you have your priorities straight! :shock: :-D :lol: That would be me, too!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 AM

I could move in there tomorrow! I love your space-room. An organized dream to me!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 AM

LOL. oh I forgot to say I have a design wall too. You can just barely see it to the left of the door in the first picture. It covers the window from the kitchen. Its made out of a piece of the foam insulation board covered in white flannel.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your input, especially Marcia for all the great articles and resources. I have my have my homework cut out for me, but lots of good ideas. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Hmmm, I think someone likes turtles! LOL. I'm excieted to organize mine. But it is also so scarey!! ;-)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM

I'd love to have a set up like you have , I sew in our bedroom
and I'm so boxed in , you have so much more room then I have and I love all your storage area as well , very well plained out I'd say.Thanks for sharing your lovely pics. :D