Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sew, sew, sew!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    you have at it.. sew sew sew till your hearts desire..

Late night sewing is when i get most done, no one under foot, no one asking to be fed, no phone ringing, no texts comin in..

Sure hope you had a BIG cup of coffee this morning..

Power Poster
    Yes you are - to all the above. :-)

OMG - how I envy your stamina- I wish I had just a little of it. You must be able to finish so many projects.

Guilty in the first degree to all above & loving it. Right at the moment I am working on two projects. A memory quilt made out of clothing for a friend that lost her DH not long ago, plus curtains for the Healing rooms new building we are moving into next week. I do my best work late at night & under pressure. My DD#1 laughs at me cause I will bump into someone just so I can touch them to say sorry just so I can feel the fabric of their clothing. I always put my hand on their shoulder & pinch the fabric to say sorry. Snicker! Snicker! She even tells people that when I go into a clothing stor that I don't go in to look at clothing. I go in to feel the fabric. LOL. Guilty again.

I have three quilts going. Two at the cabin and one at home. My husband is upset that I sew when at the lake but I had heat stroke and can't take the summer heat. In the winter when we go there I sew because it's too cold outside. Enjoy what you are sewing and using up your stash

Yes! But then you can be obsessed with all the beautiful objects you now possess!

Is this a disease? Am I obsessed or possessed?
    :-)
    CAS

I laugh when I read the QB, especially when I read things like "unsewing"! How we turn a negative thing into something positive, just because we love what we're doing.
    Husker Barb

It's both. Sometimes you just get on a roll and can't stop. You just can't wait to see how that entire quilt top looks. Then when you get to bed, you can't unwind or turn off your mind. First thing in the a.m., you jump out of bed and check the top out again to see what it looks like in nature light.

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    It's 1:00 AM and I have to be at work at 7:00 - sew, sew, sew
    I just finished a project, but then I started another - sew, sew, sew
    Two hanging over chairs all sandwiched and waiting to be quilted - sew, sew, sew
    Even the dog is whining cause I'm not in bed, but I sew, sew, sew
    My back is starting to hurt, but I sew, sew, sew
    Four-year-old grandboy staying with us for the next two weeks - he's sleeping soundly now, so I sew, sew, sew

Can't answer your questions, but I dare say you'll be worn out by the time you read this reply.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I don't sew late at night, I make too many mistakes. I do get on this board and play a couple of games when I should be in bed. 5:30A comes mighty early. Oh well, I sleep better now than I did years ago.
    Do what you love to do.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Yes, I agree w/quilting being an obsession. Once I get in the groove, I have a hard time settling down for the night. Or getting into anything else. What better of an obsession is there to have though I ask, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by athenascooter View Post
    I have three quilts going. Two at the cabin and one at home. My husband is upset that I sew when at the lake but I had heat stroke and can't take the summer heat. In the winter when we go there I sew because it's too cold outside. Enjoy what you are sewing and using up your stash
    I understand. We live on a lake, too hot today to be outside as I can't take the heat, so I sew! My dh asked me if I got the quilt done today as I have been sewing all day. Sadly, I haven't even touch the quilt, but made baby blankets instead He said "well maybe tomorrow". I said "okay"

It's an addiction. Once we get it there is NO known cure.

Blog Entries
    You say it like being obsessed or possessed is a bad thing. Not in my book
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

I have always loved to sew between midnight and 5 am. Unfortunately, I don't do much of that doing the week. Friday and Saturday nights are my thing. Now that summer is here, it is sewing more often for me. There is nothing like the hum and feel of two piees of fabric going through a sewing machine. Nothing can beat that - except eating when someone else has cooked.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

You're not obsessed or possessed... you're a quilter...

oh,I've had those times to just anxious to finish a project or try out a new idea.
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

oh,I've had those times to just anxious to finish a project or try out a new idea.We could be doing lot worse things with our time. we are just productive
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Just watched my 3 grandchildren while Mom & Dad delivered #4. I am tooooooo old for this job! My body aches and I want to sew sew sew, but I can't do much at all for a day or 2. I had forgotten what it was like to dress, feed and keep happy...a 6, 3 and 1 1/2 year old. I had 4 kids, and I don't know why mine think they need to copy me! Ahhhh.
    Enjoy all your sewing!

Why in the world would anyone expect a quilter to wash dishes, cook, do laundry, mop floors, host parties, or sleep? If they find a cure I'll barricade myself behind the sewing machine and dare anyone to get past the bins of fabric. So there.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    It's 1:00 AM and I have to be at work at 7:00 - sew, sew, sew
    I just finished a project, but then I started another - sew, sew, sew
    Two hanging over chairs all sandwiched and waiting to be quilted - sew, sew, sew
    Even the dog is whining cause I'm not in bed, but I sew, sew, sew
    My back is starting to hurt, but I sew, sew, sew
    Four-year-old grandboy staying with us for the next two weeks - he's sleeping soundly now, so I sew, sew, sew

Hmm.. ALL of the above ! LOL AND a person who loves to sew/quilt !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

The longest I have had to stay up to finish a quilt was two years ago when I was still working; I stayed up three days and two nights. Went to work, sewed all night, went to work,sewed all night and all next day. I was so obsessed with meeting the deadline that I didn't allow myself to fall asleep while sewing OR at work!! I wouldn't suggest anyone making a bad habit of that. It's ridiculous and bad for your health!!

Well, like so many things - it's different than when I was younger. After that long night of sew, sew, sewing - I think I went to bed between 3 and 4:00 AM - the next night I was in bed by 9:00. Used to I could do 3 -4 nights in a row - now two is pushing it!

A dear friend and I are going on a quilt retreat later in June and plan to stay up until 2:00 sewing and then sleep until 10! We'll see if that works. I can see the 2 AM happening, but 8:30 is about the latest I can sleep in these days.
    So many quilts, so little time.

There are a lot worse things you could be doing at 1am... like bar hopping or sleeping with someone else's hubby! You're just hooked on quilting, not a bad thing!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2