Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SEW sew sewwww excited >

SEW sew sewwww excited

SEW sew sewwww excited

Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM

Where do you get the referrals for children that want to learn to sew (or parents that want their children to learn)? And will it cost as much as Quilt Shops charge for children's classes?
I hope to start classes at our church.

Kathy
Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Good for you! I wish all children would learn to sew, boys as well as girls. There's nothing quite so much fun as seeing your project go from inspiration to realization.

One thing I've wondered though... as I want to teach a grand-daughter... is how do you start? Do you first start with hand sewing and then onto the machine? Do you start with theory then go to practice? What kinds of projects are good for teaching beginners, especially young (pre-teen in my gd's case) beginners? There are lots of books for beginners but they're geared toward adults or older children, especially those who are teaching themselves.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM

How much fun ... sounds like a blast.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Have fun! My DD took KidsKanSew classes about 20 years ago.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 PM

I started my sewing class with 4 of the LS2125 machines and the kids loved them! Great, reliable starter machines for sure! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Have fun!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 AM

That is so fantastic.... always good to get more young people sewing...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM

To answer some of the above questions.....The first thing I do with beginners is teach them about the machine,,,how it works,,what is does,,,the care,,and how to use the mannual You have to deal differently with each student as you see what their skill level is...I can usually tell with one session...As far as getting students,,,it's always been by word of mouth,,,people coming to me,,,I;ve always done a one on one in pass years for free,,,but with the economy as it is I will be charging a small fee and furnish everything....all they have to do is come and learn and have fun...
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM

You talk like you have done this before, so if you don't mind I have some questions. How many different groups will you teach a week? Who chooses the pattern for the group? How many weeks are in a session? Will you be teaching in your home? I admire what you're doing and I'm wondering if this is something that a lot of us could do in our communities.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Hi Jean,,,I have not done this in a classroom setting before...always one on one before....I do have a sewing studio at my home....I will pick projects,,,my focus will be teaching them to sew rather than what they are making,,,that would come later....I am simply just going to follow my instinct ....And I have adults interested also....I will do different classes for different ages and skill levels....As you can tell,I'm still in the planning stages...You just have to do what suits you and your area and the demands...good luck...
Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
You talk like you have done this before, so if you don't mind I have some questions. How many different groups will you teach a week? Who chooses the pattern for the group? How many weeks are in a session? Will you be teaching in your home? I admire what you're doing and I'm wondering if this is something that a lot of us could do in our communities.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 AM

That is so exciting!! Would love to hear how your classes go. I have been teaching just a few girls ages 11-13 here in my home and would like to expand a little. It is so much fun working with them!