Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Sewing 6 quilts.....

  1. #1
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,126
    This past sunday I gave my 3 year old Grandson his quilt for his Birthday. He really liked it but he had one problem all the little girls that were at the party wanted the quilt and they were fighting over it. I just used a panel of a teddy bear on a tracter and added a flannel boarder of blue and white blocks. As the day went on I was asked by 6 mothers to make quilts for there kids. What should I charge for the quilts?

  2. #2
    Super Member chairjogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Posts
    2,753
    Blog Entries
    2
    fun ! we love pictures !! what a compliment ! kid approved is wonderful !

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,587
    If you want any retunr on you time...I suggest 4 times the cost of materials. Other quilters will give you suggestions, too. This way you will be paid for SOME of the time you're investing into the projects.

    If you DON"T want to do the project(s), charge a crazy amount of money and just watch the jaws drop. That's what I do. If I don't want to do the quilt, I say I charge 10.00 and hour and there will be a minimum of 40 hours of work into the baby quilt.

  4. #4
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,460
    Blog Entries
    2
    Many folks say two to three times the cost of the materials. Be sure to include the thread. Then you can determine if your time is compensated.

    How long did it take you to make? Do you want to work for $0.50/ hour?

  5. #5
    Super Member dglvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    3,997
    I think I know the panel your talking about. Blue Jean Bear?
    #1piecemaker had some. Thats who I got mine from.
    The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I made my mom and sister one of those bags that have the measuring tape in the top for opening and closing. Now I have 12 to make for them for Christmas. Thats why I'm on board now I'm procrastinating. My sister gave me a $50 gift certificate for JoAnns and my mom will take me shopping when she gets back from Arizona in the Spring. I thought that was a good trade.
    As for the price to charge for the quilts I would say for the fabrics it would be about $30 then how ever much time you spend making them. Say 3 hours (I'm guessing on all this) so I'd say atleast $50 or $60. If they like them that much it would be worth it to them and you. Have fun :thumbup:

  6. #6
    Super Member Glassquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northeast IL
    Posts
    2,064
    Blog Entries
    1
    Give the mothers a supply list with the fabric, thread & batting needed and list your labor as $$$ & approximate time. (Give yourself extra time for what ifs. Customer never complains if you deliver early.)

    If they buy the supplies you know they are serious. Each of you can sign a copy of the supply list as a contract.

    Another thing to consider is the boredom factor of making the very same quilt repeatedly. If you don't like to make the same thing over & over, can you change it enough to satisfy your creative muse and the mother's expectations.

    Add to bottom of list any changes mom makes will cause a change in your labor charge.

  7. #7
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,481
    I agree with Glassquilt.

  8. #8
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,823
    Good suggestions from the above posters!!
    I recently was asked to do a project with ties by someone ... and said NO! Friends were with me and later shared they thought I should have accepted the offer. I said, no ... have never done ties before, and could only see problems with this guy and never being happy with what I did.

    Do you really want the other kids to have one?
    Wouldn't it be nice for your grandson to have something unique?

    I much prefer to make things on my own ... and not be under the pressure to live up to expectations of others. If they like my work, great!!! And they can appreciate it all the more.

    If you wanted to stall ..... tell them you are busy now, and if they contact you after Christmas you "might" consider it. That'll give some time to see if they are serious or not. Plus perhaps in the meantime you could make another and see what realistically the costs would be, plus what extra you would like add on to sell it at.

  9. #9
    Super Member Raggiemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,585
    Sounds like some really good suggestions here. Good luck if you decide to make them.

  10. #10
    Super Member frarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,005
    Good Luck.

  11. #11
    RST
    RST is offline
    Senior Member RST's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    940
    Blog Entries
    6
    In your situation, I would find it much more fun and interesting to offer to teach those moms how to make the quilt. You could give them a list of all the supplies, tell them where to purchase,maybe you could offer to buy a quantity of batting or backing and pass the savings along to them. Offer to teach them (as a group) how to make a basic quilt. Give them two dates when you would be available, and if they are really interested, they will figure out how to do it. You may get some quilting buddies out of the deal. If there are steps that they don't feel up to (quilting or binding) you could offer to do those for an hourly rate that you specify in advance-- say $10/hour.

    RST

  12. #12
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,126
    I just made the blue jean bear for my Grandson, I only had 1 of the panels. The other quilts I am free to do what I want just so the quilts are single bed size girly quilts and want warm and natural batting and simple quilting. I gave them all a call and asked them what they are willing to pay for the quilts and they all agreed to $100.00 per quilt.

  13. #13
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,823
    Quote Originally Posted by RST
    In your situation, I would find it much more fun and interesting to offer to teach those moms how to make the quilt. You could give them a list of all the supplies, tell them where to purchase,maybe you could offer to buy a quantity of batting or backing and pass the savings along to them. Offer to teach them (as a group) how to make a basic quilt. Give them two dates when you would be available, and if they are really interested, they will figure out how to do it. You may get some quilting buddies out of the deal. If there are steps that they don't feel up to (quilting or binding) you could offer to do those for an hourly rate that you specify in advance-- say $10/hour.

    RST
    Sounds like a perfect solution .... plus the Moms can get an appreciation of the amount of work it takes to do the job! And best case scenario, they become quilters!

  14. #14
    mim
    mim is offline
    Super Member mim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    maine/washington
    Posts
    1,389
    I always charged $50 for a baby (playtime) quilt. No matter what the design was. Sometimes it was a panel which I handquilted the outline and embroidered the childs name.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Here not there
    Posts
    1,447
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM

    If you DON"T want to do the project(s), charge a crazy amount of money and just watch the jaws drop. That's what I do. If I don't want to do the quilt, I say I charge 10.00 and hour and there will be a minimum of 40 hours of work into the baby quilt.
    I do this too!

  16. #16
    Junior Member K.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    255
    $10/square foot, this was a quote from a textile artist.

  17. #17
    Senior Member gigi10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    College Station, Texas
    Posts
    825
    I ran into this. I made a little purple quilt from my scraps for one of my gr daughters. She and her friend were having a problem because they both wanted it. My DIL told me about this as a funny story. I went to my scrap basket and made the 2nd one for the little one who didn't have one. When it was done I got the address and mailed it to her. Her gr parents don't quilt. I literally made the whole thing up, the pattern......and I agreed with myself that everything would have to come from my scrap basket.....The little girl and her Mom were very surprized and pleased. a couple of yrs ago I did this. Recently we were havind sprinkler problems and that is what her Daddy does. He drove from Houston, about an hour each way. He knows his business. It took him 2 days, so that was 4 x .....up and back. My DH promised him a specific amount just for coming . Daddy gave my DH the bill. even with the specific $ on top of it.......He cut the price. I just made the little quilt from a GIGI's heart. It came back to us. I don't think I could find 6 quilts in my scrap basket right now. I just used all of them to make a scrap quilt. If this is something you want to do from your heart, no $, then do it. IF THIS could get out of hand, be bigger than you want, more time than you want to give it.....say NO to all of it. If it is something you want to do, I agree with the supply list idea. Sometimes people get caught in the moment and after it cools, they aren't interested any more.

  18. #18
    cdufur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    296
    Good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Give the mothers a supply list with the fabric, thread & batting needed and list your labor as $$$ & approximate time. (Give yourself extra time for what ifs. Customer never complains if you deliver early.)

    If they buy the supplies you know they are serious. Each of you can sign a copy of the supply list as a contract.

    Another thing to consider is the boredom factor of making the very same quilt repeatedly. If you don't like to make the same thing over & over, can you change it enough to satisfy your creative muse and the mother's expectations.

    Add to bottom of list any changes mom makes will cause a change in your labor charge.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    984
    Its been my experiance that everyone wants something handmade but few are willing to pay for what its really worth. "Ah she sewes what can i get out of her"
    Be very careful with your pricing.
    I had a distant family member HOUND me for a bag "just like your daughters", once I suggested charging her she shut up quick.

  20. #20
    Super Member quiltmom04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    This past sunday I gave my 3 year old Grandson his quilt for his Birthday. He really liked it but he had one problem all the little girls that were at the party wanted the quilt and they were fighting over it. I just used a panel of a teddy bear on a tracter and added a flannel boarder of blue and white blocks. As the day went on I was asked by 6 mothers to make quilts for there kids. What should I charge for the quilts?
    Search on this board for the post about the actual cost of making a quilt. You'll be shocked! Here's MY 2 cents. Charge enough so that you won't begrudge the time if you really don't want to do them and don't know how to say no. Seriously, $200 would not be out of line for a child's size quilt. so if you'd be willing to make them for that price, and they are willing to pay it, go ahead. If you really want to make quilts out of the kindness of your heart ( which I don't!) do that. But don't let people take advantage of your good nature !

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Florida
    Posts
    4,609
    Blog Entries
    45
    One more tip, don't hand over the quilt until you see whatever money you are charging for materials and/or time. Lots of sad stories on the board about folks who make things for other people and never get paid. Be careful.

  22. #22
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    I bet that out of all 6 of them that want one, once you give them a price they wont have you make them. I always tell people, that if they buy the material I will make it. Not one person has bought the material for me to make them a quilt. Which honestly I would love to do. One guy wanted a King size, I told him with material and time the minimum would be 600.00 his jaw dropped and he did not say another word. But I do love to give my quilts away. I am usually inspired to give a certain person a certain quilt.

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    S. Texas
    Posts
    1,928
    If you want to do it charge at least double the cost of materials and if you don't charge 4 times the cost of materials.

  24. #24
    Super Member joyful1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    I just made the blue jean bear for my Grandson, I only had 1 of the panels. The other quilts I am free to do what I want just so the quilts are single bed size girly quilts and want warm and natural batting and simple quilting. I gave them all a call and asked them what they are willing to pay for the quilts and they all agreed to $100.00 per quilt.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to ask for a deposit, that way you have the funds to buy the supplies that you need and also know they are serious about it. :)

  25. #25
    Super Member LivelyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Give the mothers a supply list with the fabric, thread & batting needed and list your labor as $$$ & approximate time. (Give yourself extra time for what ifs. Customer never complains if you deliver early.)

    If they buy the supplies you know they are serious. Each of you can sign a copy of the supply list as a contract.

    Another thing to consider is the boredom factor of making the very same quilt repeatedly. If you don't like to make the same thing over & over, can you change it enough to satisfy your creative muse and the mother's expectations.

    Add to bottom of list any changes mom makes will cause a change in your labor charge.
    Great advice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.