Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing apron / Thread catcher?

Sewing apron / Thread catcher?

Good morning, I have a question for you all.

Does anyone have / wear a fully apron while sewing? I like to call them 'thread catchers'? This way instead of the thread leaving your sewing area and 'walking' all over the house, you take the apron off and leave them there? I think I'd like to see about making on. Anyone have any other cute ideas or suggestions? If you have something like this can you please post a picture? Thanks
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

I don't give threads that much thought. LOL I think an apron with exposed poly batting would collect all the loose threads though.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

A flannel apron would work, too.

bkay

Power Poster
    In the winter I could wear an apron but not in the summer. It seems my internal thermometer is stuck on hot right now.

I never thought of this, but it makes a lot of sense. Too hot in Texas during the long summer, but work OK for me in the winter. Flannel is brilliant!

I've re-purposed a few of empty Kleenex boxes, the tall skinny kind, and drop all my snipped threads in there. But I inevitably find ravelings around the house. Was just thinking today that I need an old-fashioned dust mop to keep in the sewing room and catch those little bits that get on the floor without my knowledge.

What a wonderful idea. I'm always picking and being picked of threads. We could even put a small vinyl pocket for putting threads into! Thank you.

Pinterest has some cute ideas for aprons; I was just looking last night. I keep one of those sticky lint rollers on my cutting table. It seems to do a fair job on getting loose threads when I need to be presentable.
    Lisa

I never thought of it either but it's a good idea! The other night my husband and I were out and I pulled a thread off him! Have no idea how it got there lol

Blog Entries
    For a thread catcher, I wind some blue painter's tape around my hand (sticky side out), stick it down on the table to the right of my sewing machine, and place loose thread ends on it as needed. It works really well. An apron might pick up frays that I miss, but if I wore the apron out of the sewing area (say, to go to the bathroom), I expect I would still spread threads throughout the house.

Blog Entries
    I slip a microfiber cloth under my sewing machine, that sticks out the front and catches all threads. When it is so covered, that I cant clean it or run it thru the washer/dryer, I just toss it in the trash. I also often wear a kitchen apron that I roll with a lint catcher/roller tape. This helps, but I still have to sweep and vacuum. My hubby says living with a quilter is like living with a dog who sheds thread. LOL

Blog Entries
    Yes, I wear an apron while sewing. It saves both my clothes and threads all over the place. i keep them on a hook in my sewing room.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I'd love to see a picture or pattern of your aprons please.
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

Blog Entries
    No, I don't wear an apron, but the idea that immediately came to idea was to make one out of a microfiber towel. They have them at the Dollar Tree and other places. There are free patterns online for towel aprons.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

With micro-fiber cloth for an apron you would eventually have to pick all the threads off of it before washing....wouldn't you??

Quote Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
    Good morning, I have a question for you all.

Does anyone have / wear a fully apron while sewing? I like to call them 'thread catchers'? This way instead of the thread leaving your sewing area and 'walking' all over the house, you take the apron off and leave them there? I think I'd like to see about making on. Anyone have any other cute ideas or suggestions? If you have something like this can you please post a picture? Thanks
    Sticky Roller - One of the best purchases that I have made was at a booth at the Paducah Quilt Show (thestickyroller.com). It picks up thread, and you just rinse it with a little Dawn dish soap and water then dry. It keeps really sticky. I use it to pick up thread on my floor before vacuuming. It comes in three sizes. Of course, I purchased all 3. It is Great, and I don't have thread catching my rollers in my vacuum. Yeah!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-07-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I saw this tutorial for a man's shirt. I bet it would work well for a thread catcher if using a flannel shirt.

http://gabrielsgoodtidings.blogspot....-to-apron.html

Blog Entries
    I don’t wear an apron, but I saw an idea here a while back I use. My newspaper comes in a narrow plastic bag; I use painters tape to tape half of the top edge to the right side of my sewing machine cabinet. As I clip threads, clip off corners, etc I push them over to the bag to collect them; when it starts to sag I put on another bag, and take the first bag to my cutting table to collect scraps there. A woman in my guild collects these scraps and stuffs doggie beds with them for the animal shelter. We quilters don’t want anything going to waste.

As a quilting friend once said as we were leaving a work session, "We come with strings attached." If I had a designated sewing apron, it would be a cobblers apron similar to a maternity smock, plenty of pockets. I have always admired the chatelines where you wear your tape measure, pins, needles, scissors, etc.

Blog Entries
    I wear aprons All the time, sewing or not. I like having pockets etc. But when sewing, love being able to transport things like my tape measure etc in a pocket while I carry something else. Usually my coffee!!
    Aprons also help keep your clothing cleaner when cooking, cleaning or whatever.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-07-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    I keep a piece of ugly fleece in my lap because no matter what I do they will be on the floor if I don’t. I just put ribbons on two corners to keep it there. Nothing fancy, just efficient.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I use a thread catcher with a weighted top to rest on the right side of my machine. I put sand in the top and it stays put.

CR
    I was given a wire pencil holder and I use that like a small waste basket to put the threads in.

Once I ordered a sticky plastic mat from a industrial supplier for this purpose. At the time these were used in hospitals, the tacky surface collected dirt from shoes. I placed it at the doorway of the room. You could tear off top page like a tablet when soiled. My sewing room was upstairs and I wanted to keep strings and lint from tracking downstairs.

I just keep one of those sticky rollers in my sewing room so that I can roll the threads off before I go downstairs.

If I remember . . .

If I worry enough about threads to do it . . .
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight