Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sewing the backing of your quilt together

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone else, cut the selvage off

I asked the same question on a longarm forum. The answers I got was to leave them on the OUTSIDE edge of the backing. If you sew the backing together (say one long seam down the middle) leave them on until you have it sewn, then cut it off. I now sew that seam with a 1" allowance, then trim to 1/2"...I then iron the seam open.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

QM
    Yes, get rid of those pesky selvages. They have a different density than the body of the fabric and will give you major problems later. I snip and tear the narrowest possible selvage, (doing a very small sample first, as some fabrics don't tear nicely.) but at the last minute, so they won't have loose threads to get in my way. For very large quilts, however, I often prefer to buy extra large backing fabrics. I sometimes buy them on sales at very low prices.

I always cut the selvage off. It shrinks at differently than the fabric. I use 1/2" seams. And tear it. You get strings, but you have a nice long strip.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
    I cut the selvedges off. I fold my fabric and use my 6x24 ruler and my rotary cutter to cut it. As long as your edges are even and you check to make sure the folded fabric is laying squarely on the cutting mat you have one long even cut. Good Luck!
    Exactly what I do, same as Rose.

I sew clothing more than quilts so I'm comfortable using my long shears to cut away the selvedge in a straight line. That is quicker for me than folding about 100" of backing fabric squarely for the rotary cutter. If I need to cut more than an inch away from the edge of the selvedge, I will tear.
    Elizabeth

Always remove the selvedge. I try to keep the number of layers I cut through at 4. Any time I cut long strips I fold the fabric to not more than 4 layers, making sure the selvedges are even. Then I use the 4' T-square I bought at the hardware store for cutting drywall. The T-square is aluminum and works just like a quilting ruler - run the rotary cutter along it. The big T-square is one of the best tools I ever brought into the sewing room. I also use it to mark a cutting line on the roll of W&N; mark with a fine Sharpie and cut a straight line with scissors.
    Shirley in Arizona

RJ
    I was taught by a quilt shop owner years ago to sew your seam with a 1" seam and then clip 1/2 inch into the selvage every 2 inches or so along the entire length....it seems to work for me just fine...I am now thinking that I am the only one that does this....I have to remember--there are no quilt police LOL

I sew at 1" seam and then cut off half so I have about a 1/2" seam which I the press open.

Good advise all thanks

I cut it off

Blog Entries
    Rip selvage off, sew 1/2" seam, press open, BUT leave selvage on outside. That gives the LA a little extra length or width and it will come off when I square up after back from the LA.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

One of the first things I learned about fabric in Home Ec class in 1959 was...........ALWAYS cut off the selvage.

I would remove the selvages before sewing the quilt back together. They don't play well with the rest of the fabric.

I also use the "clip and rip" method and a half inch seam. I have had other quilters gasp when I tell them I rip the selveges instead of cutting, but that's how I learned way back in Home Ec in junior high and it has always worked for me...
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I clip and rip. never had any problems doing it this way. if your edge seems wonky just give it a good press. i try to do 1/2 in seams in my backing (personal preference)

I would not leave the salvages on and recently the long arm lady told me to use at least 1/2 seams sewing the back together because of stress when on the longarm machine.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    I sew the salvage edges together using a 3/4 or so inch seam allowance and then trim both salvage edges off together. his cuts the trimming in half and you really don't have to be so very careful to leave an exact 1/4 inch seam.

I would agree with everyone else. I made the mistake once of leaving the selvage on because most of it was printed like the fabric and I thought it wouldn't make a difference at the seams. . .after I washed the quilt the shrinkage was uneven and the corners and some of the seams went all wonky. . .I would take the extra time to remove the selvage You won't regret it

I rip. Usually comes out fine.

Blog Entries
    I agree. Cut them off!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

i left them on my last quilt without these really deep seams. i had prelaundered the flannel and i just....left it.

i have washed the quilt twice since without any pucking or weirdness. but reading this i am thinking i just got really lucky! never done that before and probably won't do it again

aileen

I Tear them and then use a 5/8" seam to sew the pieces together

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2