Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing classes >

Sewing classes

Sewing classes

Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Unfortunately, our school systems are in shambles in most places. I taught for 38 years and had to fight for discipline nearly every day. I was cursed by parents for assigning homework, hit by students, threatened by students and parents, and even had a contract on my house to be fire-bombed on the day of my son's graduation! I have been in those trenches. As always, as stated, the arts and personal enrichment classes are the first to go. The rare parents who can teach their children the basic living skills should be rewarded. We have a whole generation of boys and girls (young adults) who announce proudly, "I don't cook" as if wearing a badge of honor. Sorry for my soap box, but we are in sad shape in the US, I am afraid.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM

I am the mother to a 26 year old daughter, no they did not teach Home Ec when she was in school, so I started teaching her how to sew when she was only about 6, she is the mother of a 2 year old, and has taught herself how to crochet and do other craft projects, my point is, we as parents and grandparents can teach the children around us to do home related projects since the schools do not teach them anymore. I learned to sew about fifty years ago because my mother sewed and made us all clothes even though she worked full time. I still sew some clothing for myself, but I make clothes for my daughter, her daughter and my 2 step granddaughters. Why do I do it, because I can, and also because I can create clothing that fits and does not look like everyone else's clothes who go shopping in the mall, I have bought several sewing machines through craig's list and people who are getting rid of their machines in hopes of someday being able to teach the grandkids and the other kids in my neighborhood how to sew, not only is it fun, but you can teach them to not be dressed like all the other kids in school. I wish you all good luck, this board is very informative about how different areas of the country think concerning the education of our children