Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with clothesline, new way to me, anyways >

Sewing with clothesline, new way to me, anyways

Sewing with clothesline, new way to me, anyways

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM

This is a really neat idea. I think I will try the placemat or the trivet first. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM

I too am intrigued by this but also thinking placemats or table topper - I just have a hard time putting good fabric on the floor... But I can see the appeal of matching your rug fabric to other decor. I'll be interested to see some of these show up on the board so we can see how they work out - and feedback on the various techniques mentioned as possible ways to do it.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM

I just wrap the fabric around the cording kinda on a slant for a about 12 inches then coll into a small circle and zig zag the two coil together and keep doing the same until you have the size you want. You can do hearts, circles, purses, rugs etc. It is fun and really easy. I love making things with clothesline.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM

I think I'll try this one, make some place mates. thanks for sharing
Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 AM

I can see the advantage of getting just the right color/pattern for a special location.... but as the pattern is written , all I could think of was..... "sounds like a lot of work getting that cord in there" I would diffenently stitch it in as I go with a zipper foot or something simular.... I'm thinking this would be great for hot mats,triviets, and table runners... a floor mat, might be to overwhelming for me....
Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 AM

I like this idea but also am concerned about the cost/labor, especially as a rug that would be walked on. However, it would be delightful in a placemat. Can anybody comment on the washability (considering the clothesline inside)?

I have had trouble finding the cotton clothesline called for in the bowl patterns...someone said Walmart but my local store doesn't carry it. I expect it to be rather costly at specialty shops.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM

Interesting. There is a cording foot available for my LA. I'm wondering if that would work.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Banned

would be really nice of heavier drapery fabrics! and perhaps ultrasuede on the back! Saved this for a future project for sure!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
I like this idea but also am concerned about the cost/labor, especially as a rug that would be walked on. However, it would be delightful in a placemat. Can anybody comment on the washability (considering the clothesline inside)?

I have had trouble finding the cotton clothesline called for in the bowl patterns...someone said Walmart but my local store doesn't carry it. I expect it to be rather costly at specialty shops.
It would hold up well as long as you used GOOD fabric..nothing thin like the walmart stuff. and I think cotton clothesline would hold up much better than regular cotton cording...though cotton cording is put on sofa edges..so who knows...
My Wm also does not have cotton clothesline. In fact I could only find online at Lehmans...or I have to order it wholesale and end up with 12 of them...so still thinking on that one!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
I can see the advantage of getting just the right color/pattern for a special location.... but as the pattern is written , all I could think of was..... "sounds like a lot of work getting that cord in there" I would diffenently stitch it in as I go with a zipper foot or something simular.... I'm thinking this would be great for hot mats,triviets, and table runners... a floor mat, might be to overwhelming for me....
I was thinking the same thing..a zipper foot is all you need to edge that cording in and move on!