Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Curves >

Sewing Curves

Sewing Curves

Old 07-30-2023, 04:17 AM

Default Sewing Curves

I love sewing curves!
  • On concave piece, fold to find center and clip. Then clip on each side of center clip.
  • Fold convex piece to find center to match centers. Place pin.
  • Line up each end and pin.
  • Smooth between center and end for placing other pins.
  • When stitching, flat won't work. Lift curved edge to feed into presser foot. I remove pin just before stitching
How do others sew curves?
Old 07-30-2023, 04:21 AM

That is perfect advice on curves. I did some apple cores (grrrrr) which meant I kept having to flip the whole row over to stitch with the flat curve on the bottom. hate those "ruffles", but i got it done. flip,sew, flip, sew. worse than drunkards path block for sure.
Old 07-30-2023, 05:53 AM

I usually pin ends, centers (mainly to match them) and the end and just finger match about an inch at a time as I go. It has been a while since I did curves. I remember that the larger size of drunkard's path was easier to stitch for me then the smaller ones. Also, I can't remember what machine I did it on. Generally, on curves, I like stitching with a machine that slightly raises the presser foot be itself with the "hover" function like my Viking or Bernina 590 with that feature turned on. But that was nice for curved applique. Anyone else have thoughts on the "hover" function for actually piecing curved pieces together. The knee lift can also be nice when doing the applique.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Decades ago I won a set of these in both sizes at quilt show: https://www.sewinspired.com/
They were perfect since I was in a modern quilt phase. Lots of curves and arcs that all fit together perfectly. I still use the DP set. The facebook page hasn't been updated since 2019 so I don't know if the rulers are still available.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:55 AM

Good explanation on sewing curves. I do mine similar, but I don't pin. I just make a few, matching clips and line them up as I go along.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Decades ago I won a set of these in both sizes at quilt show: https://www.sewinspired.com/
They were perfect since I was in a modern quilt phase. Lots of curves and arcs that all fit together perfectly. I still use the DP set. The facebook page hasn't been updated since 2019 so I don't know if the rulers are still available.
Those are cool! Now...where could I put those? I've never seen that website before. I'm going to have to snoop around there. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2023, 06:59 AM

I haven't mastered curves. I've managed to complete the curves required for a few projects, but not at all happy with them. I've tried both pin and non-pin methods.
Old 07-30-2023, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I've never seen that website before. I'm going to have to snoop around there. Thanks!

The sets are pricey on the website! It looks like the website hasn't been updated in a long time.
If I remember right it was early 2000 at a regional quilt show. The designer was a vendor there and I suppose donated the set as prize.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:08 AM

here is one place i got some of my templates long ago
https://backporchdesign.com/templates-rulers/
Old 07-30-2023, 08:16 AM

I cut my Drunkard’s Path blocks using an Accuquilt cutter. I use dies from Accuquilt and Blue Wren (an Australian company). The dies cut a tiny notch at the halfway point. I follow Ebony Love’s YouTube video on sewing DP blocks without pins, and it really works. 7” and 8” DP blocks are a piece of cake, but I find I have to concentrate more on the 4” ones I have. People are always so impressed with the result I get a bit embarrassed. After all, it only takes a few seams to finish an entire block!