Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Extension Table

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you use a sewing extension table? I think that's what it is called. A clear plastic table that sets around your machine to give it a larger level work area. Are they helpful? What brand? What do I look for? Online they seem to cost around $100 and I want to know it's worth it before I spend that much.

It seems to me it would make the actual quilting part easier. My poor little machine has a hard time if any weight is pulling at it.

Blog Entries
    I am buying a dining room table, cutting out and dropping my machine down in the lower right hand corner, so I have even more surface area... :wink:

I got an extension table for christmas and I have to tell you I Love, Love, Love it! I did order it online and paid about $100 for it (including shipping to Canada).

I have one, got it through my dealer (who probably ordered it online and charged me extra!) and I couldn't do without it. That said, if I had to do it over again, I'd go for something bigger...like a dining room table. LOL Extension tables are fairly easy to make out of wood.
    Fabricluvr made one http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-11611-1.htm
    or you can go the USPS box route like katier825 did http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-21180-1.htm

Lisa: there's a video on Youtube that shows how to make an extension from foam insulation boards and plastic. (Iknow sounds awful) My DH made me one of these in less than an hour-you stack them and cut out the space for your machine. It has made quilting SO much easier-no weight pulling on your quilt, stitches are more even, shoulders don't hurt. When I'm not using it, it fits behind the door. I don't think it cost more than $10-15. Just a suggestion-hope this helps.
    Peace-
    Jan

Here's the thread with the link to that video http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-16253-1.htm

Hi,

I have two of the acrylic extension tables, one for my Babylock Elegante and one for my Babylock Ellure.....I love them and use them daily. I bought mine from my dealer and they were about $100 each. My one table fits my Ellure and my Dec. Choice. It gives you more flat sewing space, and I don't sew without them actually.
    I also have a Sew EZ table that my Ellure and Decorators Choice both fit in. It's a foldable portable table that sets up and your machine fits in and you get a acrylic piece cut to fit your machine...it's super for classes, camps, and I use it at my lake place all summer. It has a case and wheels so it pulls....you can see them in most quilt magazines in the ads. Love it, too. I highly recommend both.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the links ladies. There are some interesting low cost ideas. I think I may try one or the other. My quilting needs all the help it can get, but I really do hate to jump right in and spend $100.

I bought my extension table when I bought my machine, and am not sorry. It is so nice to have!

I have one sitting in a corner because the quilt catchs on the edges when you try to quilt it.
    So I ended up buying a sewing table that has a lift in it and lots of counter around it, what a difference it has made.
    Dont settle for less than a large flat surface.
    Those videos of foam flat surface looks like a great idea and you wont be out a hundred bucks for something that does not work. I speak from expierience.

I have an extension table for my Bernina. I got the 24 x 24 size from Dream world. It is wonderful. Then DH gave me a sewing cabinet for Mother's day a couple years ago and my machine sinks into the cabinet. Wonderful!!! I still use my extension table when I take my machine each month to the UFO night at my church. Love the table!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I am buying a dining room table, cutting out and dropping my machine down in the lower right hand corner, so I have even more surface area... :wink:
    SMART! GOOOD idea!
    You mean a used one though, I hope! lol

I purchased one of the acrilic ones and I love it. The nice thing about it is that I can store lots of things under it and still be able to see them. I took it to my retreat several years ago and broke it. Luckily my husband the machineist was able to replace the clear surface with another piece from his work. The legs from the original fit it just fine. When you order them they ask you which machine you have and they make it to fit that machine. Mine is for a Bernina. I also purchased another extension like table that is made of white plastic for my emboridery machine. It helps greatly when I am working on a project that hangs all over the place like a shirt, tablecloth, quilt top etc. That came from Nancy's Notions. Again you tell them what machine you have.

I have one I used when I did freemotion on my domestic, now I forget about most of the time.
    It is really useful and I don't reget spending the $ 8 - 10 years ago.

Blog Entries
    i went and got got the plexiglass from home depot..made a paper template on the machine,where the insert goes, and DH cut the piece out. total cost? under $20.00 bucks. 250 gauge(1/2 inch thick) 18 x 24. i got the legs from home depot also..they screwed in, and are adjustable..i can take a picture if you would like. I have it for my janome jem..my other janome is in the sewing table.

You can do the same thing with wood..you would need to sand and clear coat it to make it smooth, so the fabric won't snag.

It is a big improvement when sewing, and especially when quilting..

Blog Entries
    I have one for my backup Pfaff and I almost went nuts coz I couldn't find it. I use it particularly for the quilting and I set the ironing board at the end of the table to hold up the rest of the relatively heavy quilt. Wish I had a drop down - but I don't.

Blog Entries
    Here's the link to the place I bought mine http://sewingmates.com/index.asp. I bought the smallest one for $36. I like it and use it most of the time. There are times that the quilt will kind of hang up on the corner and moves it. I also made myself a "table" http://sewingmates.com/index.asp, which I use in addition to the acrylic one, I wedge it in between the boxes. I already had the acrylic one when I discovered the thread for the home-made one. I couldn't get the right size foam boards, so I used boxes (free from post office).

Blog Entries
    i could not get either link to work..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i could not get either link to work..
    I think you need to take the punctuation marks off at the end.

Blog Entries
    http://sewingmates.com/index.asp

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-21180-1.htm

MadQuilter was right, for some reason, it picked up the punctuation. These should work.

Blog Entries
    excellent idea! the boxes are perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Do you use a sewing extension table? I think that's what it is called. A clear plastic table that sets around your machine to give it a larger level work area. Are they helpful? What brand? What do I look for? Online they seem to cost around $100 and I want to know it's worth it before I spend that much.

It seems to me it would make the actual quilting part easier. My poor little machine has a hard time if any weight is pulling at it.
    My husband is making me one, cause my machine has a hard time too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i went and got got the plexiglass from home depot..made a paper template on the machine,where the insert goes, and DH cut the piece out. total cost? under $20.00 bucks. 250 gauge(1/2 inch thick) 18 x 24. i got the legs from home depot also..they screwed in, and are adjustable..i can take a picture if you would like.
    I didn't realize plexiglass was so cheap! For some reason, I thought it was really expensive. Please post a picture if you get a chance. My husband is very handy and has all the tools to make one.

Blog Entries
    I like the table ideas. I especially like the wooden one. I think it looks much nicer.

Blog Entries
    Lisa, I lied..I got it at Lowes! lol! $16.99 I bought an extra one, for my friend but she never picked it up.

here are the pictures of it..
    http://picasaweb.google.com/strut526...eat=directlink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast