Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing half square triangles / flipped ends >

Sewing half square triangles / flipped ends

Sewing half square triangles / flipped ends

Old 10-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

You can buy pre-printed paper to sew on for HSTs. Not sure what the sizes are.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
There are rulers that let you cut HST and QST from strips. You sew a regular 1/4" seam along the edge as any other seam. No marking needed.
The Wonder Cut ruler lets you do this--it does make your sides on the bias so I usually starch before using it.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 PM

This website (below) offers the HST paper patterns for free, in small sizes. You can also buy software, called triangulations, that allows you to print them in any size. For larger sizes, I use the Easy Angle ruler; with that, you cut pairs of strips, much easier than drawing lines, imo.

http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html
Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
Honestly I iron my diagonals and then use that line as my quarter inch seam line on each side. However I usually cut my original squares larger so I can trim them up to the correct size of the end... but I would have to do that either way. I hate drawling in the lines and haven't for years
I do the exact same as luvspaper - I slightly oversize my squares press the diagonals on one color and strip piece them by sewing 1/4" on one side of the fold then the turn the strip around and do the other side. Press open and trim.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Could you put a piece of masking/painter's tape on your machine bed to eliminate the marking process?? I've not tried it myself but it seems to me this is much like the 'easy angler' (might have that term incorrect) ruler to put on your machine bed??
This is what I do, too, but I also just go ahead and cut the triangles and sew them together, old style. Works well and seems quicker than drawing lines and cutting.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:35 AM

A shop near me has the perfect way to quickly make perfect HST! Sundays' Best in Ellerslie GA has their own line of stencils. Linda Camp, the owner, will happily mail you the sizes you need. Here is a link to her video. http://www.sundaybestquiltworks.com/...etriangle.html. After purchasing several sizes I now have a Pinterest board devoted to HST quilts. They are fun, quick, and eye catching!

Be sure to tell her I sent you!
Old 10-14-2017, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I love my "clearly perfect angles" . Eliminates all drawing of the line on your precut squares.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/clearly-perfect-angles
I absolutely LOVE mine, also. Gosh, how did I ever manage before 'clearly perfect angles'. This has made my quilting life so much easier.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 AM

Have you ever tried Thangles.? They are strips of paper with sewing and cutting lines printed on them. You pin them to fabric strips of the same width, sew through the paper, cut on the cutting lines, and then remove the paper. Make six hsts a a time.

Last edited by janjanq; 10-14-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I've used Thangles too. Really like them. They have all different sizes.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:55 AM

[QUOTE=NJ Quilter;7924582]Could you put a piece of masking/painter's tape on your machine bed to eliminate the marking process?? I've not tried it myself but it seems to me this is much like the 'easy angler' (might have that term incorrect) ruler to put on your machine bed??

I do have the painters tape on my machine bed--all the time and it works great for me. I use it the most for sewing the angle on binding strips.