Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with Invisible Thread >

Sewing with Invisible Thread

Sewing with Invisible Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Default Sewing with Invisible Thread

I have several applique projects that I want to finish. I have tried sewing the pieces with Invisible Thread, but it always pluckers and doesn't look right.
I am using silk thread for the bobbin, and I set the tension, but it still pluckers.
Any other tips for sewing with Invisible thread?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:19 PM

No advice for the invisible, but I will say that my friend and her group uses the 90 or 100 weight thread that is the closest match to the color in each piece she is sewing down and a teeny zig zag stitch and you have to get really close to see it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-11-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Are you using a zig-zag stitch? Lengthen the stitch length a little. You can also use some tear away stabilizer under the applique and backing. You just float it underneath both layers.

Do you have other decorative stitches on your machine. I don't use the exact zig-zag stitch. I have a stitch that takes the zag on a little angle. I have used invisible thread or just match the color.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:36 AM

I took a class with David Taylor (beautiful machine applique) and he suggested nylon invisible thread using a blind hem stitch. The bobbin thread was cotton. I don't like the look of nylon so I used cotton the next time I did this - matched the thread to the piece I was appliqueing. But I still used the blind hem stitch and it worked great. Nearly invisible.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

I use regular cotton or polyester 40-50 weight thread in my bobbin and invisible on top. Most of the time I use a blanket stitch but once in a while a small zigzag. It sounds as if your stitches are too tight. Lengthen them ( I’ve never known invisible thread to work for a satin stitch- it is too heavy and tight. A lightweight stabilizer on the back may help to. I only use one if my background fabric is much thinner/ finer than my appliqué.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Invisible Machine Applique - nylon or poly thread on top, cotton on bottom, blind hem stitch adjusted to do this:
---^---^--- which is stitch/stitch/stitch/bite/stitch etc.
The stitches are small, and placed right next to the applique on the background fabric - and the bite is just single, small zigzag taking one stitch into the applique, but not too deep. I use freezer paper on my applique pieces and turn the edges under. After all the stitching is done I remove the FP by trimming away the background behind the applique. You sometimes have to dampen the area to soften the FP & make it easier to remove.
I've been very happy with the technique for many years. Took a class time ago & it was worth the time. If you googled Invisible Machine Applique you'll find more info. Hope my explanation was reasonably clear. hahaha!
Good Luck!
Donna Mc

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-12-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Your suggestion on the 90-100 wt thread is a great suggestion for Me. I will be teaching my young student appliqué after Christmas and want to do several methods. I don't like invisible threads as I just can't see them.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-13-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Nylon thread will stretch so the tension and needle size has to be perfect. Also the brand of machine and brand of needles it will take is very important. There is a difference in needle brand length. A smidgen too long or too short and you have problems. Schmetz needles are longer then Organ needles. Search online the best needle brand for your machine. There is a reason some brands market their own needles for the machines.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Administrator

i decided i wanted to use invisible thread for the quilting on a recent project.
all the research i did pointed consistently toward monopoly (polyester) thread.
i bought a small spool of sulky brand and was quite pleased with the results.
just regular thread in the bobbin with no changes to tension.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:23 PM

I really like Sew Fine and Bottom Line (for the bobbin). Invisifil is a great one, too. I like the way these threads sink into the fabric but don't distract from your design.