Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine advice - Brother LX2375 >

Sewing machine advice - Brother LX2375

Sewing machine advice - Brother LX2375

Old 01-01-2020, 04:14 PM

Default Sewing machine advice - Brother LX2375

I am very new to quilting. I am just getting ready to start my very first quilt. I was going to do the entire quilt by hand, but now I am thinking about using a sewing machine. I have a Brother LX2375, but never really used it much because I could never get it to work right. That however could be due to operator error. I have read that I cannot use this machine for quilting due to the needle height not being adjustable. Does anyone know about these machines? Also, if I would decide to buy a new machine, what would a good one be for someone just starting out sewing and quilting?
Old 01-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the Quilting Board and happy quilting.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:56 PM

Welcome from NJ. I'm not familiar with Brother machines in general and certainly not your specific model. That said, I see no reason why you can't, at least, piece your quilt top with that machine. Any machine can do that! Quilting the sandwich is a whole 'nother issue. Needle height should not be an issue but throat size could certainly be a challenge if it's small.

What type of problems have you had with the machine that it's not 'working right'? Give us some details and I'm sure someone will be along that will have some advice/solutions for you.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kkranig View Post
I am very new to quilting. I am just getting ready to start my very first quilt. I was going to do the entire quilt by hand, but now I am thinking about using a sewing machine. I have a Brother LX2375, but never really used it much because I could never get it to work right. That however could be due to operator error. I have read that I cannot use this machine for quilting due to the needle height not being adjustable. Does anyone know about these machines? Also, if I would decide to buy a new machine, what would a good one be for someone just starting out sewing and quilting?
I was just using one of these the other day at a friend's house! So, like they say on Reddit, AMA! (Ask Me Anything!)

You can find a manual for the series here if you don't have one: Quick Start Manual And here is the full size manual. I'll try to monitor the board in case you need help.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:22 PM

Thank you. The machine I have was a Black Friday special that I paid $30 or $40 for. I thought I saw somewhere that it was a discontinued model. I have looked through the manual online as I cannot find where mine went. The specific problems I have been having are:
1. Thread breaking - this could be due to me not pulling the thread out and holding on to it when I start to sew.
2. Thread getting bunched up or putting a big wad of thread on the bottom of the fabric. - Could this be a tension issue?
3. Fabric puckering as I sew - not sure what would cause this...tension again?
4. I also have trouble with controlling the foot pedal. I push soft and it doesn’t go, then I push harder and it takes off. - this I’m sure is operator error and I just need to find that groove

It has been years since I even had it out, so not sure where my tension or stitch length or width were set at. Or more important...where they should be set at.

N.J. - I don’t know what you mean by throat size. I would need to buy a walking foot for the quilting correct?
Old 01-01-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kkranig View Post
Thank you. The machine I have was a Black Friday special that I paid $30 or $40 for. I thought I saw somewhere that it was a discontinued model. I have looked through the manual online as I cannot find where mine went. The specific problems I have been having are:
1. Thread breaking - this could be due to me not pulling the thread out and holding on to it when I start to sew.
2. Thread getting bunched up or putting a big wad of thread on the bottom of the fabric. - Could this be a tension issue?
3. Fabric puckering as I sew - not sure what would cause this...tension again?
4. I also have trouble with controlling the foot pedal. I push soft and it doesn’t go, then I push harder and it takes off. - this I’m sure is operator error and I just need to find that groove

It has been years since I even had it out, so not sure where my tension or stitch length or width were set at. Or more important...where they should be set at.

N.J. - I don’t know what you mean by throat size. I would need to buy a walking foot for the quilting correct?

1) When is the thread breaking? While you're sewing a seam, or right at the start?
2) Thread getting bunched up: If this is happening at the start of a seam, this is probably because you're not holding onto both thread tails at the start.
3) Fabric puckering as you sew: Are you holding the fabric tightly when you sew? Does your machine have the ability to change the presser foot tension? (could be too tight)
4) Controlling the foot pedal: Yes, this is part of the "getting used to it" part, but I've heard that some folks were able to put a block of wood under the part that you press down so that it stops you from pressing it all the way down. There's usually a little tiny lip around the top of the foot pedal, so you'd have to figure out how to prop the block without everything sliding around. Your machine may or may not have a little slider where you can set the maximum speed of the needle - one of my machines cannot do this, and the other can. It's usually on the front of the machine above where the needle is.

"Throat size" or "Harp" of the machine is the distance from the needle to the base of the machine directly to the right. The amount of space you have inside the inner curve of the machine because that's where you would be bunching up a quilt if you were quilting it. My primary machine has a throat of 6.5in and I've quilted a few Queen and King sized quilts on it! It can be done! The shape of the throat is also important for greatest volume of space. Some Brother machines are very circular shaped there which makes it harder, while my Janome is quite square so there is more room.

eta: Forgot to say Welcome to the Board!! There are so many wonderful folks here with so much information and an abundance of creativity and talent. This is a fabulous journey you're starting and I'm so excited for you! You don't "have" to buy a walking foot for quilting, though it is helpful for stitching in the ditch and quilting straight(ish) lines. Usually you can find a generic one quite affordably. You would need an embroidery foot/darning foot/FMQ foot (there are a variety, but generics are also quite affordable) if you wanted to try your hand at free motion quilting. I quilted my first quilt with no walking foot and I did wish that I had one. You just need to know if your machine is a low shank or high shank, but the manual probably will tell you that? If not, you can bust out a ruler and measure!

Last edited by Sephie; 01-01-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: forgot to say!
Old 01-01-2020, 09:55 PM

The thread would break and/or bunch up on the bottom side while stitching the seam. The puckers were usually at the start of sewing. It does not have speed control. As far as the throat size and shank I don’t know. How did you quilt without the walking foot? I believe this machine has a darning plate and a different foot for embroidery. But not sure how to use all that with quilting.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:09 AM

I am not a tension expert by any means but it does sound like your top tension might be a tad too tight. Turn your tension dial - ever so slightly - to the left. Make very small adjustments until it is sewing properly with no puckers or thread nests. And do check your threading of the machine. Actually, do that before adjusting your tension. Also check your bobbin threading.

Some newer machines say you don't need to hold onto the thread tails. Being a dinosaur myself, I still always do that. Yes, you may use more thread that way but it does reduce lots of problems.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:21 AM

Since it's been years since you've used the machine, I would take it to a sewing machine service person and have it serviced, but before I paid, I would ask the repair person if the machine was worth repairing. Personally, I'd buy a different machine. I wouldn't necessarily buy a new machine, especially a Singer, something with more throat space. You can usually find vintage machines reasonably priced, they will have more throat space and not a lot can go wrong with them. I love my vintage machines.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2020 at 09:25 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-02-2020, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!