Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine cabinet >

sewing machine cabinet

sewing machine cabinet

Old 02-03-2020, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by merryj View Post
Thanks! Right now I have my old machine in an Arrow cabinet with a lift- have had it for years. but the new machine is too big for the opening. Thought about using a jigsaw to make the opening bigger - but then I would have rough edges.
I was looking at another Arrow - but they are expensive - never thought of craigslist! The new machine is on a folding table but vibrates too much if you sew fast.
The table w/lift that I picked up from CL has part of the right side of the bed sawed away as well. Apparently the original owner of the cabinet had gotten a new machine which didn't fit so son (from whom I bought the cabinet) sawed away a bit for her. The sawed off section is to the right of the machine where all the wires are so it has no impact on fabrics/machine bed. Would that work for you??
Old 02-03-2020, 05:57 AM

I was lucky to pick up a Horn quilting cabinet on Craigslist some years ago - It has a manual lift, but I don't change machines or even close up the table so not a big deal at all for me. If you sew a lot, I think it is worth the money (or expertise if you have it ) to have your machine set at table height. I have had this table 3 machines ago, so will just order new acrylic inserts when I change machines.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:40 AM

I have several that are in cabinets. Only one can change out from one machine to another. The problem with all cabineted machines is the space they take up. I was just looking at 2 different cabineted machines one that is interchangeable and one that is not. I wanted to switch their locations for the smaller cabinet to be in my sewing room where I can put a different machine in it to make my sewing room look a bit neater. It comes down to the space each one takes. This is just something to consider. I love the way they all look. As far as were to look for one I would start of Craigslist only because I am one of these people that look for a bargain anywhere I can find one before I go to a retail store of any kind. I would also look in resale shops. I don't mind refinishing a nice piece of furniture to get it to look the way I want.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM

I also have a Horn cabinet that I just absolutely love (almost as much as my machine). I had to have a larger cabinet that my Janome 15000 would fit in (and it barely does fit, just have to twist cord a little bit to lower machine). Got the machine from my LQS that I got my machine from, kind of expensive, but never, ever have I regretted the purchase; I've had it for 3+ years.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:50 PM

I have a Koala, and I love it.....lots of storage, sides and back extend out. There is a lift for the machine up and down.....It us an expensive model, I got it for $400.00 on craigslist, really lucky!!
Old 02-03-2020, 05:51 PM

Smile Sewing Cabinet

I have a Koala, and I love it.....lots of storage, sides and back extend out. There is a lift for the machine up and down.....It is an expensive model, I got it for $400.00 on craigslist, really lucky!!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:34 PM

I love my Singer 15-91 in its original cabinet - I learned to sew on that machine (1962) and so the cabinet is very comfortable for me - the leaf folds out when I am using the machine. No storage really except a very small drawer on the front. And there is a bit or storage in the stool under the cushion. My Janome has a table that it sets into (made for the machine). I like it because it's always set up - I just put a cover over it.
Never thought about a larger cabinet since I have most of my sewing items in other cabinets - all my embroidery thread is in its own drawers and I have built in cabinets for other items and a closet with all my fabric.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 02-03-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I love my Singer 15-91 in its original cabinet - I learned to sew on that machine (1962) and so the cabinet is very comfortable for me - the leaf folds out when I am using the machine. No storage really except a very small drawer on the front. And there is a bit or storage in the stool under the cushion. My Janome has a table that it sets into (made for the machine). I like it because it's always set up - I just put a cover over it.
Never thought about a larger cabinet since I have most of my sewing items in other cabinets - all my embroidery thread is in its own drawers and I have built in cabinets for other items and a closet with all my fabric.
That sounds perfect!!