Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine for Class >

Sewing Machine for Class

Sewing Machine for Class

Old 11-27-2011, 05:36 PM

I think this is good advice, also to make sure they have the basic supplies. I packed up all my equipment before, and forgot bobbins to a FMQ class, luckily they had prewound bobbins at the LQS or i would have been SOL.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I think this is great advise but I have a question. I have a 15-91 in a cabinet that I want to learn FMQ on. I am thinking of taking a class but I really can't see lugging that whole thing to class. I wasn't even able to get it into the house without some help. I have a "newer" basic singer (1999) but its not that great for quilting as the dogs don't drop but can be covered. The LQS rents machines for people if they want and I was thinking of doing just that.

I do agree wholeheartedly that one needs to come to class prepared for it.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM

I have taken SO many classes where students were not prepared....i.e. - showed up late, did not do the prep work, did not know how to thread or use their machines, forgot their power cord or foot. This is extremely frustrating to those of us who ARE prepared. We have paid our fee to the instructor and done the work and brought the proper items, but we are the ones who suffer when the instructor has to spend precious class time helping the "other" students. I have suggested to my LQS that an additional item be put on the class schedule - "if you are not on time and are not ready and have not brought the proper items, your class fee will be refunded and you will be sent home". Yes, I know this is not realistic and won't be done, but it sure would make me feel good to see some people get booted out of class. OK, thanks for letting me vent.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 PM

I agree with newbiequilter above. I gave up taking classes mainly due to the fact that my LQS seemed to not care about the unprepared issues (partly due to cronyism) and I became frustrated.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It is rude for students to come unprepared for a class - ESPECIALLY if they have had access to the information of what they need to bring and what their skill levels should be.

Unprepared can be:

Not bringing required equipment and supplies
Being late
Having inadequate skills for this particular class
Not knowing how to USE the equipment

It takes time away from the other students to learn what they were hoping to learn while the instructor tries to bring the "student from wish-you-were-ready-for-this-class" up to speed.

If I've paid a lot of money for a particular specialized class, I want the instructor to spend most of his/her time on being able to teach the advertised content of the class. Not "how do I thread my machine?" if the course is on paper piecing, for example.

It makes as much sense for a beginner-beginner to sign up for advanced classes as someone taking remedial arithmetic/math to sign up for an advanced calculus class. (Except colleges make students take placement tests before allowing someone to take advanced classes)

A disclaimer:

IF the promotion is for a "Very beginner" class - then I would expect some basics such as the following would be covered:
1) This is a needle. Needles come in various sizes.
2) This is fabric. These are grainlines.
3) This is thread. It comes in various weights.
3a) This is how you "thread a needle" and make a knot in the thread
4) This is one model of a sewing machine. Separate classes are held for learning how to operate your particular model
5) This is cutting equipment. Then one could go on about scissors and rotary cutters.
6) These are measuring devices – rulers, etc. - how long an inch and a yard are (or meters and centimeters) - what is a FQ
and so on

Just as there are teachers/instructors that could be better, I am reasonably sure there are "students from h*ll" that make instructors vow to never teach again.

Another disclaimer:

Not all of us have all the tools/equipment needed for some activities. It's a fact of life. If one has to borrow or rent something, a class where others are prepared is not the time or place to try to learn how to operate it.

I do remember what it's like being a beginner-beginner. It's how I feel when trying to navigate this board.
Thanks so much for pointing this out. Well said!!!!