Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The sewing machine debacle >

The sewing machine debacle

The sewing machine debacle

Old 12-26-2010, 05:31 PM

contact the Better Business Bureau. I contacted them when the computer shop tried to cheat me. They took care of the problem and I got a new computer.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:33 PM

There are two sewing machine "repair people" in the town where I live. One is capable of doing very good work but usually dumps it off to some new employee and you can't get it back for three months, so I won't take it to him any more. The other is a 40-ish person who really means well but lacks experience and he cleaned my machine and it came back all oily and the zig zag and fancy stitches wouldn't change width. I drove 50 miles to the next nearest place and got a pretty young man and thought, great another one with no experience, but to my surprise he did a wonderful job and he now has the Pfaff to adjust the famcy stitches and adjust the needle threader. Hate to drive 100 mile round trip but it's worth it to save the hassle!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
contact the Better Business Bureau. I contacted them when the computer shop tried to cheat me. They took care of the problem and I got a new computer.
This is reassuring. I've heard from one other person whom these people cheated!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry you're having this problem. I feel fortunate that I bought my machine from a shop with a great reputation, and they have never let me down. I hope this works out well for you, despite the aggravation.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 PM

So sorry for your trouble with not ONE but TWO machines!! What a nightmare! Please do keep us informed and I hope it all works out for the best!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
they were right, it is a civil matter. I would take them to small claims court if they charged you for something they did not do. I don't think a lawyer is necessary or would even be willing to take on a case like this, unless you have one in the family, which is always handy!
definitely small claims court ....do you have any receipts that they have the machines? If so when you win, they have to pay court costs, too.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM

I would also let them know you belong to a quilt board online and you are going to let everyone know what horrible experience you had and word of mouth is great!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:35 PM

This is all so wrong. My thoughts will be with you when you go back. Don't go alone though. I like the idea of having a policeman with you. Sure can't hurt!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM

Oh my goodness! I live about 25 minutes from, and used to work, in Williamsport. As soon as you described the shop (before I noticed where/who it was) I thought of a place I once visited when looking for a used sewing machine! Turns out when I read to the end of your post that I have been in there and you described it perfectly, except you left out dark and dusty...
I am so sorry you had this happen and so close to Christmas. I live 60 minutes from my Bernina dealer, but he is great and services all types of machines. He is located in Mifflinburg. There is also a place that handles a number of kinds of machines just about 5 minutes from the place you visited, on Basin St near Starbucks. I don't know them personally, but have been in the shop and they are pleasant and helpful. If you need anymore info, just PM me.
My DH says he goes in there every once in a while just because it is a verrrry interesting place...no one seems to care if you buy anything or not. (don't know why he would find it fun, but then... ) :shock:
Old 12-26-2010, 08:47 PM

This is theft. They have your machine and won't return it. The receipt proves the ownership. I sure hope you got a receipt.