Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The sewing machine debacle >

The sewing machine debacle

The sewing machine debacle

Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM

My DH and I are at odds on this one. I think small claims court (might take a while to get there) and having another repairman look at the one you have will do the job.
DH says it's theft if he won't return your machine, call the police again.

Either way --- in Oregon, my experience with the BBB is that it's worthless. They don't keep good records and have not had anything on places that gave me bad business.

good luck and keep us posted on this case!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Seems alot of people are money hungry, I've had a machine serviced by a scum bag, not much choice in who to take it to. Another guy might have known one one time how to fix them, not anymore. Lying and charging for the lie is real popular, what a shame.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
My DH and I are at odds on this one. I think small claims court (might take a while to get there) and having another repairman look at the one you have will do the job.
DH says it's theft if he won't return your machine, call the police again.

Either way --- in Oregon, my experience with the BBB is that it's worthless. They don't keep good records and have not had anything on places that gave me bad business.

good luck and keep us posted on this case!
Unfortunately, the BBB has no legal standing. They may take your complaint, but they really can't do anything about it.

I agree, if they refuse to return your machine, it is theft.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:54 PM

I agree, try to get a consumer advocate involved. The shop owner will NOT want negative story about his services in the paper or on the news.

Hope it all works out perfectly for you.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-27-2010, 05:56 PM

by the way, there was an article in our newspaper in the last week or so that said the BBB was basically ...crap. It served no purpose to help, but might let the public know of bad services to avoid.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM

this is the most exasperating story this week. I to, had a bad experience with a repair man. He comes to our LQS , picks up machines and cleans and goes thru for 40.00$ when I picked up my machine I did NOT examine it, but headed home,only to see that the bobbin winder was broken... just wiggled on the machine. I took it back to the LQS, they called the repair man, and he said bring it back. ok, so back to the LQS.. a mere 4 miles away. UGH... He took my machine back, then called me and said he was sorry but it was broken when he picked it up, OR it was broken after he delivered it back to the LQS... NOW,, if it was broken when he picked it up it must have happened at the LQS,,,right? OR if he delivered it back to the LQS he said they had probably let it fall from the shelf.... all in all, nobody was to blame.....??? He still charged me for the cleaning...but no bobbin winder... HOWEVER and this is the wonderful part. a dear person on this quilt board gave me her bobbin winder, plus many nice pcs. of fabric. I am so blessed, and it took the sting off my heart about my broken machine. I consider myself very fortunate to have so many wonderful persons on the quilt boards to be my friends.

jacie
Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
2 words. Judge Judy.
Hahahaha....that was my thought, too, although Judge Marilyn on People's Court is nicer and will actually let you tell your story.

Honestly, you should take them to Small Claims court. You don't need a lawyer for that.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Wow what a nightmare. I hope all will turn out well for you in the end.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM

No offense - but if you are 70 - you are a senior citizen - your shop owner has taken advantage of an elderly person - you might want to call your courthouse and see if you can fill out some paperwork - regarding this - FL State Attorney really doesn't like those kind of people -

Good luck
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Make sure you take a DATED picture of the machine you got back uncleaned but charged for. Show inside the bobbin case area where it still has fuzzies, etc and have a witness. Better yet, take the pic in front of a notary public. That could be the first step in proving this guy is crooked if you end up in small claims court. Once that is shown, nothing else he says will be credible. I would also go back to the shop with a police officer to get the other machine as just their presence sometimes will "change their attitude" and at least keep it civil. And I would tell EVERYONE I know about this shop as a warning!