Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machine doing a Hand Sewing stitch look

Blog Entries
    This was the first I've seen of a machine that would do a stitch like this - would like to see it in real life the next time I get to a sewing machine shop...

http://youtu.be/FRhq8C6JWj0

Blog Entries
    I really like that, but the last thing I need is another machine!

Blog Entries
    I have a bernina and on the bobin case there is a little hole on the arm that fits upwards towards the needle if i put my thread threw that little hole it does something with the thread that quilters use at times, now I just learned this I have not done it maybe your machine might have a little hole like that also.
    now i can only hope you understand what I mean lol

Wonder if this s the same stich as in my brother machine I have a stich in there that says hand stich. I have brother inniv's 1200 emb. machine.

Blog Entries
    I can get the same effect using invisible thread on top, black in the bobbin and really tight tension. Gives a hand quilted effect.

I have a Pfaff 7570 that has this stitch. It is a straight stitch and you use clear thread in the top with a very tight tension and colored thread in the bobbin with a looser tension. The clear thread pulls the bobbin thread up to the top and that is what makes it look like hand stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I can get the same effect using invisible thread on top, black in the bobbin and really tight tension. Gives a hand quilted effect.
    I think almost all the newer machines have some variation of this stitch. My Berninas are 10 and 11 years old and they both have it. I have a friend that bought that Sashico (sp?) and she has had a lot of trouble with it. And they're pricey for what they do. Think she paid around $1600.

I think I have seen the machine your talking about. On the top it looks like hand stitching. Check out the back side of the project. I thought it looked heavy thread - maybe just the way it was set up.

Did not know about the hand stitching on the machine- will have to see if mine has that option.

I learned this from a dealer on a inexpensive Janome.

I also wonder how free motion would work on the machine in the video. She only showed a straight line.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    i've seen this in the past. but i've never seen a machine dedicated to handstitching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissSandra
    I have a bernina and on the bobin case there is a little hole on the arm that fits upwards towards the needle if i put my thread threw that little hole it does something with the thread that quilters use at times, now I just learned this I have not done it maybe your machine might have a little hole like that also.
    now i can only hope you understand what I mean lol
    I'll take a look - sounds interesting! Thank you :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I believe that my Janome 6600P has that stitch...When I was at my lessons the lady showed me how to do this with my 6600P...really cool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by btiny36
    I believe that my Janome 6600P has that stitch...When I was at my lessons the lady showed me how to do this with my 6600P...really cool.
    yes it does, you use clear thread in the bobbin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    I have a Pfaff 7570 that has this stitch. It is a straight stitch and you use clear thread in the top with a very tight tension and colored thread in the bobbin with a looser tension. The clear thread pulls the bobbin thread up to the top and that is what makes it look like hand stitches.
    ********** ;) ************
    I've tried this on my Viking, it works fine, but the look on this machine ( at least in the video ) seemed much closer to real hand sewing - it always amazes me to see these different options. Thank you

Used it at a dealer...Babylock "Sashiko"...Only does that stitch you can vary lengh of the straight stitch. It sell for 2400 but can be found for less if you shop around to diff dealers.
    I've also tried the invisable/black thread in my Viking and looks nice but the "Sashiko" is unique...
    You can go to Babylock website and see another video on it.

This is the Sashiko machine and yes, from the front, it looks nice but the back is just chain stitching! No thanks...

Several of my machines do one or more "hand-look" stitches". I think the Baby Lock Sashiko machine (I think the MSRP is $2500!) only uses bobbin thread, and can use some rather thick threads.

Blog Entries
    same here

I agree with Candace.. it may be pretty on the front.. but I'm thinking the chain stitch on the back would be kind of off-putting.. I'll stick with hand stitching for "hand stitching".. and the prices I'm seeing would buy a LOT of needles and thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjnesler
    This was the first I've seen of a machine that would do a stitch like this - would like to see it in real life the next time I get to a sewing machine shop...

http://youtu.be/FRhq8C6JWj0
    I SEEN ONE ON THE SELLING CHANNEL ON TV THATS ALL NEVER ONE ACTUALLY CLOSE TO ME.I ANNOT REMEMBER THE BRAND THOUGH.I GUESS I CAN BLAME IT ON MENOPAUSE.LOL

I've seen this in action.It actually makes a double threaded stitch by forming a loop underneath which is picked up with a hook.I would really like one but they are $2700+ in Australia.

I simply can't image paying that kind of price for a machine that does one thing only. Guess one would have to be pretty flush with their bank account to afford such a frivolity.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    The Pfaff stitch isn't the same stitch (to be pedantic).The Pfaff has a double stitch on every second stitch, to give the illusion of hand stitching,and two threads are still used, top and bottom but the Sachiko stitcher has thread in the bobbin which is brought to the surface with a hook and it forms a double stitch on the top and a continuous chain stitch on the back.It's sort of like a crochet stitch through the material.It's a shame the machine is so expensive.

Blog Entries
    My Bernina has this stitch.Really need to try all the stitches,but I usually am just seaming quilt blocks.

I have the machine It is wonderful when it works It can be finicky. It was expensive but I had to have it. Darn, I should have waited until they perfected it. I hate to be a downer but I would NOT recommend it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast