Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine for Granddaughter >

Sewing Machine for Granddaughter

Sewing Machine for Granddaughter

Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

The Kenmore portable is made exactly like the Jamone Gem. And there is usually a Sears store in every town for returns. For $400 you can get a top of the line Kenmore that will have features to last her many years but could be confusing to a beginner sewer. The portable Kenmore is the best option IMHO.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

i used to have a little sewing school, we had 6 machines...3 of which were $79 brother's from walmart...i also had my viking designer one ($5000 machine) most everyone would stand in line to get to use one of the brother's they are wonderful inexpensive beginner machines. all 3 of my granddaughter's (ages 14,13 and 8) have brother machines (for 4 years now) have had no problems with them and i believe they will hold up till the girls are older and ready for bigger and better...for a first machine i would never spend $300-$400 what if she decides sewing is not her thing? if you get a good machine for under $100 it will be around for a long time and if nothing else be good for hemming pants :)
Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I saw in Sears yesterday, the portable Kenmore was on sale for $98. Did you know Sears has a great book on how to use all the different feet? It's free if you buy a machine but the salesman will probably give you one if you ask. I got one free. All brands of sewing feet are basically alike and the book has pictures and how tos for each one.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks, everyone for all the info. I think I will get her the Kenmore model #16231, which is a Janome. I've been looking for it on-sale, but so far it's list price. I can also buy the exact machine under the Janome name, but have to still pursue this option. My granddaughter is 16 and already made a couple things on a friend's machine. If I can get her a machine for $200-250 that's okay. Anything I've seen for under $200 sounds like a thrashing machine when it sews. I am also going to call our local Viking shop to see if they have any 2nd hand machines. We used to be able to buy a good starter machine for $150. My original Singer, bought in 1962, cost $55 and nearly broke us.