Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Musings >

Sewing Machine Musings

Sewing Machine Musings

Old 10-15-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I love my older machines. They have history and I have an emotional attachment to them. They don't have needle down but I have a hand that can turn the wheel to put the needle down to pivot. They don't have automatic thread cutter but I have scissors. They don't have lights up the wazoo but I have a lamp. What they do have is character. I have nothing against new machines nor people of have them. I just wish there was more understanding of the emotional attachment some of us have to our old machines.
I SO agree with this sentiment. Especially the part about having an emotional attachment to them. I picked up an older machine a while back because I it was in a cabinet and I needed one for my 301. Or so I thought.

The machine on the cabinet was a Singer Touch & Sew (1969) and I didn't really think it was old enough to be interesting. Decided to try it out and fell in love with it. I bought it from an estate sale and the woman who sold it to me told me it was her mother's and that she had used it to make all of their clothes, etc...and had taken immaculate care of it. All of the pieces and fashion discs were still together as were all of the other doo dads that came with it at the time. The manual was missing, but we downloaded one off of the internet. It has the fancy (to me) push button bobbin winder that makes me squeal whenever I fill it up in place.

I am not a great sewer/quilter and when I get discouraged I feel like this little machine is telling me "Come on, you can do it!" "Try again!" "Trust me, I've done it all before."

I wonder if I should share my musings before I have had a second pot of coffee? lol
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 AM

I purchased my Singer 237 new in 1971 for $75 and used it for 30+ years. I sewed clothes, quilts, and crafts with it and it never gave me a lick of trouble. But the little tab that fits into the slot of the bobbin wore down and I couldn't wind bobbins any more. This was before they came out with the bobbin winder. Since I wanted a few more bells and whistles, I bought a Bernina 440QE, which I dearly love. Then I won a Bernina 240, which has become my class/retreat machine. However, I have 6 Singer FWs which vary in age from 1936 to 1965, and a Singer treadle (1939). I love the FWs for straight stitching and even if I'm taking the Bernina to a class, I always carry a FW, just in case.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I love my Memory Craft New Home 4000, which could be 20 years old or so, but knock on wood, she's going fine. If she does get a problem and has to go to the hospital, I pull out an old Brother machine which I picked up for free at our town's swap center at the incinerator (dump). I was walking down the stairs as this gentleman was walking up, I saw the Brother in it's original box, asked him if it worked, he said yes, and I brought it home. I originally planned on giving it to my daughter, as she does very little sewing, but could use it for mending, etc. Every time she would come home, I intended to give it to her; however, my machine needed a tune-up, so she twisted my arm to keep it. It is a simple machine, but to me it actually does better satin stitches than my New Home, and the price was right, and it doesn't weigh very much.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Went to a brother dealer yesterday and saw the latest brother, one they have been advertising, on sale $10,000. Way to high for an old lady who is retired, nice as it is, if I was 20-30 years younger and could use if for many years, but I about passed out at price and that was sale price. Oh well.

Last edited by Carol34446; 10-15-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:34 PM

I love my Bernina 1130. I was fortunate to find it on CL a year ago. A woman had it for sale and told me it had belonged to her MIL, who had been a seamstress, and had passed away a couple years before. The machine had been put in a storage area and she just wanted to "get rid of it" because she didn't sew. So, for a shockingly low price I purchased this wonderful workhorse, along with the original documentation and many feet, including an even-feed foot. When I took it in for service and cleaning, i was told that it was a very clean machine and nothing needed to be replaced, despite of its age and heavy use. It had been that well cared for! I smile every time I see her sitting proudly in my 1976 Singer cabinet that housed my Athena 2000 of the same year. Emotional attachments to sewing machines ... you bet! I cried when my Singer broke and was not repairable because parts were no longer being made.