Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine needles

What are the best sewing machine needles? What size is the best for piecing quilts? How often do you change them?

For piecing, I like Sharps 80-12 and change needle after each major project. Fav brand is Klasse`.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Schmetz, no question. I piece with 70/10 sharps and quilt with 75/11, 80/12 or 90/14, depending on the thread. I change them often, at least every project and sometimes halfway through if I'm using poly batting or batiks which wear the needle more quickly. An old needle can strain the motor on your machine and a new needle is a darn sight cheaper than a new machine. :-D

Blog Entries
    "Superior threads" they have excellent info and videos on threads and needles. it is under the "education" tab.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

great video on needles!
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...titch-needles/

Blog Entries
    For my first quilt I used Superior's 'titanium coated topstitch 80/12' needles for quilting my sandwich. Pricy yes, but along with using quality thread had not one itty-bitty problem with the process. I like that. Definitely like/love these needles, although I will be looking into the Klasse`.
    For piecing the batiks, I used either a Singer or Dritz ball point 75/11; have a lot on hand (from years of garment construction) and get no snagging of fabric threads with the ball points.
    Goes without saying, new project/new needle.

Blog Entries
    you should change your needle between each project or after 8 hours of sewing time -- sometimes more often- some fabrics dull a needle faster than others- if you are sewing along- and find your stitch quality is no longer good (skipping stitches-uneven stitches-and even thread breakage) the reason is usually a dull needle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
    For piecing, I like Sharps 80-12 and change needle after each major project. Fav brand is Klasse`.
    same here!

I learn so much here!!!

Banned
    Like Watterstide I use Superior Threads titanium needles 80/12, unless I'm working on lawn cotton or silk - then I use their 70/10.
    Based on Bob Purcell's advice I now use the 70/10 when I'm using his Bottom Line thread in the needle.

I've already said this on a different thread - October 2009 is the last time I put a new 80/12 in, and my Bernina is sewing like it did when the needle first went in.

http://www.superiorthreads.com

I use 10's, 11's or 12's for piecing, depending upon the size of the thread.

I use Organ Brand mostly - I can buy them on eBay for as little as $12 per 100 and they're really nice needles.

I recently bought Orange Brand to try them out - again, about $12 per 100 and they supposedly use German engineering and quality control in the manufacture, so I think they're going to be fine.

I've never had any problem at all with the Organ brand, but I do change the needle quite frequently no matter which brand I'm using or what machine I'm sewing with. When embroidering or FMQ, I only put about four hours on each needle and I change it before any problems start showing up. For regular sewing and piecing, I usually change the needle after six or eight hours.

I also like Klasse' and Schmetz brands - they cost a lot more, but they make a lot of specialty styles.

I use the titanium by Supeerior. I bought a bunch when they went on sale at the "quilters daily deal"

Blog Entries
    Organ. I like 12 for piecing, 16 or 18 for quilting.

Wouldn't it be sew very nice if one of you decided to trim your stash of needles and offered some for sale in batches of 25 or 50? If you don't need a license to offer some of your fabric I can't see why you'd need a license to offer some of your needles. And many of us would say, "Oh I'd like to try that one" and just snap them right up.LOL

Blog Entries
    Great information. Just bookmarked this thread so I can find it when I get home from work today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doreen
    I use the titanium by Supeerior. I bought a bunch when they went on sale at the "quilters daily deal"
    me too! :thumbup:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    see if you can test drive some needles by borrowing from friends...not ALL machines like ALL needles. I like Klasse, but I have a Kenmore that hates them.

So, I generally stay with schmetz....all of my machines like them! I buy the microtex 70's & 80's in bulk!

Blog Entries
    I use Organ titanium needles needles sold by Superior. They are excellent quality and outlast any other needle. They pay for themselves in just one package use. I sew everyday and haven't had to change my needle in months. They keep sharp that long. The topstitch needles work great with all brands of thread. Superior has low shipping prices.

Blog Entries
    I only buy topstitch needles.

Cheri-I LOVEYour Avatar. That is so cute.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I've learned so much on this forum from so many talentd quilters!!!! Yall are awesome!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you should change your needle between each project or after 8 hours of sewing time -- sometimes more often-
    With PP I find that it's the case of "more often"

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I use Organ titanium needles needles sold by Superior. They are excellent quality and outlast any other needle. They pay for themselves in just one package use. I sew everyday and haven't had to change my needle in months. They keep sharp that long. The topstitch needles work great with all brands of thread. Superior has low shipping prices.
    I agree. The Organ titanium outlast anything else I have tried. I buy mine through my Janome dealer. I can tell when my needle dulls by the sound it makes going through the cloth. When I start hearing a popping sound, it's time to change the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
    My favorite too.

Blog Entries
    I change needles every time I start a new project.

Top stitch and metalfil needles are the same needle design. I recommend you use those sort as they have a better eye to accommodate all sorts of thread and a flange at the back of the needle for the thread to lie in and that means less resistance when sewing. I use a size 90/14 or sometimes a 100/16 as I do tons of heavy quilting. Use a lighter needle if you are quilting on delicate fabric.
    As for how often to change the needle - I put a new one in every time I start a new quilt and you should definitely change it if you hear a popping sound as you quilt - even if the project is not finished, as it is an indication of a blunt needle and you will get skipped stitches and trouble with bending and breaking.
    As for the brand of needle- I generally use Schmetz,Bernina, John James and Organ. However, there are other brands that you might find suitable for yourself. Good luck with your selection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast