Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine needles >

sewing machine needles

sewing machine needles

Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Default sewing machine needles

I just noticed that Schmetz is color coding their sewing machine needles. That is really helpful.

Now - how much magnification power do I need to read the old ones?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I know what you mean. I didn't even realize there was a number on the needle for the longest time. I bought the Jumbo Helping Hands from Harbor Freight and the only part of it that I use is the magnifier. I can read the needle's number with it, and it is cheap. http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html
Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM

I am thankful for the color codes. As for reading the needle size on the needle it self... I do keep a magnifying glass. But found when a put a new needle in the machine I put a post it note on the machine with the needle size. If I change needle sizes.. I put the needle in the post it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I have a large assortment of Schmetz needles but now, I am mostly using the size 14 quilting needles. YES, you are correct about the small print but you must realize how small the shank of the needle is. I didn't notice the color code on the needles I just bought at JAF. Yes, they have been stamping the size of the needles since I bought my Bernina over 20 years ago. YIKES!! Time flies when you are having fun quilting !!!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I am thankful for the color codes. As for reading the needle size on the needle it self... I do keep a magnifying glass. But found when a put a new needle in the machine I put a post it note on the machine with the needle size. If I change needle sizes.. I put the needle in the post it.
i've often heard the post it for the size, but putting the needle in the post it when done is such a great tip!!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I don't bother trying to keep up with what size a needle is, if I take it out of the machine I toss it.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM

I'm with you. Needles are so reasonably why would anyone bother saving them?
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't bother trying to keep up with what size a needle is, if I take it out of the machine I toss it.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM

I change needles frequently - I prefer Microtex for appliqué and if quilting with metallics I like a Metallic or Topstitch needle. Sometimes my needles are only used for an hour or two. I keep a jewellers loupe similar to this one with my needles which I use if if I forget to mark or note what needle is in my machine.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I doesn't matter if I use it for an hour or one seam I don't save it once it comes out of my machine. I've tried all the methods of saving the size and none work for me. A guild member asked don't you feel guilty throwing away a good needle? I said no, it's a needle.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:48 PM

Thanks Dunster, I just ordered the Helping hands from Harbor Freight and also some new rotary blades. I have had pretty good luck with their blades and at $1.99 a pkg the price is right.