Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine --professional maintenance >

Sewing Machine --professional maintenance

Sewing Machine --professional maintenance

Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM

I don't remember when my machines were last serviced!! OOPS!! I feel lost when they are gone. I really should do a yearly reminder, one at a time every six months would work!!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 AM

thanks for the great reminder-
Old 12-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Keeping yourmachine oiled and clean will keep it runing fine for a long time- you can handle that for pennies on the dollar
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 AM

We were in a sewing class at the LQS which also serviced machines. During the class the repairman came out to show us the lint in the machine. It had enuf lint inside to stuff a pillow. She had never had it serviced in five years and wondered why it didn't work. We all vowed cleaning once a year depending on the use.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I also have the 440QE I have to pay 125. to get mine serviced. As much as I hate to pay that, it is true that the computer inside has issues with dust bunnies, so off it goes once a year. Both of my berninas are going in next month. But girls, you have to remember, computers heat up easily. That dust causes real problems not only with the computer, but the metal friction from not being oiled inside.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

For those of you who do LOTS of sewing... have you ever considered buying an old industrial? I bought my first one in 1986 and liked it so much that I got another (almost identical) one five years ago. (One for at home, and one to keep at the fabric store.) I paid $500 for the first one, and $382 for the second all those many years later. I bought the first one in Buffalo, NY and the second one was from John Garde & Company in Toronto ( website: http://www.johngardeco.com )

I can't say enough good things about John Garde & Co. They had a whole room full of ancient Singers, from when we used to have a solid garment industry here in North America. And from time to time, they would clean one of 'em up and offer it on eBay. That's how I found them. Anyhow... the mechanic who worked with me was a third generation sewing machine repairman, so he really knew his stuff. He showed me how to adjust lots of things, and even showed me how to re-time the machine. So I got a machine, and a table, a light, spare light bulbs, extra feet... AND repair lessons.

And I had no trouble bringing "Lassie" across the border. The Customs agents were not at all interested in a used sewing machine.

Anybody near Toronto, go check that company out. I was fascinated to see all the special purpose sewing machines they had, too.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 AM

I plan to take my embroidery machine in for servicing after the first of the year. Poor thing won't know what to do with such fine treatment. I have used it quite a bit these last few weeks and I have quite a few projects for after the holidays. I want her to be in top shape. I believe the basic charge for service on that machine starts at $140.00. My Bernina and Brother machines I purchased this year so they can wait a little longer.

I do clean and oil my machines regularly. The embroidery machine reminds me each time I turn it on- it wants a drop of oil every day. I use pipe cleaners to clean the machines and they work well.

My Brother machine manual says not to oil it but when I asked my dealer she told me that even the Brother service peopletell her that they need to be oiled.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:19 PM

I'm thinking the computerized machines need more maintenance than the non-computerized.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM

You all make great points. I have a new Bernina and will probably take it in every year to year and a half. I plan to buy a better quality USED second machine to take to classes. My sister will help me service it (she has no problem figuring out how to reassemble, which is where I run into problems).
Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I'm thinking the computerized machines need more maintenance than the non-computerized.
This is my experience too. I have always serviced my own machines, and only once taken it to a professional. They did such a terrible job, that I vowed I would never trust my machines to anyone else again. Sewing machines, especially the more mechanical ones, are very easy to look after, and don't really take much to get them going again. The newer computerised machines, and those with a logic or circuit board really need the professional to do the computer-y bits, but you can still look after the basics yourself.

The exception for me is my overlocker (serger). I oil it, and de-lint it regularly, but when it goes wrong, I need someone who understands them to do the repair/service for me. Fortunately in the 20 years I have had my overlocker, I have only needed it serviced twice - as we speak I am waiting to pick it up from the repair shop (ready on Tuesday, apparantly!). Let hope it works a bit better now (it needed some new parts).