Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SEWING MACHINE >

SEWING MACHINE

SEWING MACHINE

Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

If you want a computerized one with plenty of bells and whistles try out the top of the line Kenmore. Kenmore is made by White who makes Janome. I have sewn on the new Kenmore and it sews like a dream for thousands less than the other top of the line brands. I love my Singer Featherweight, and Singer 15-90. I would give up my computerized machine before I'd give up my Singers.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I bought my granddaughter the Janome Hello Kitty 3/4 size machine and if I didn't have a featherweight I would buy one for myself for classes. It's a great machine. It is not a toy at all. (The 1/2 size Hello Kitty is considered a toy machine.) In fact it looks identical to the one IFWO45 posted about only has Hello Kitty on it. Same price too.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I bought a Singer 237 Fashionmate at a garage sale. It did require cleaning, oiling, and adjusting. There is another thread about what that costs.

Then I bought a couple more of them.

The e-bay auctions say they are "industrial" - they aren't, but they are good little work horses. I can sew about four layers of denim on them before it gets cranky. I am not able to sew over a six layer bump on jean hems.

Has a beautiful straight stitch and does a nice satin stitch.

There are two versions of the 237 - one can drop the feed dogs on one model - I think that's the 237-A.

The down size of this machine - it's a heavy puppy. I think it weighs around 30 pounds. I can carry it, but not very far.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Now please understand that you are going to hear from a lot of people and everyone loves their machine and their brand. The best thing to do if possible is to try out any machine that you are going to think about buying.

I recommend the following Janome sewing machine only because I have first hand experience with it. Just bought it for my daughter who is a beginner sewer and quilter. She is accomplishing both with this machine. It was easy to set up. The manual is beautifully written and works perfectly with the machine like it says it does.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Janome...VVviewprod.htm

If I were going to buy a new one in that price range that would be the one. I fell in love with it just setting it up for her......lol.

Having said that, if you have access to a 60's or 70's machine......I have both which are Singers.......they are work horses.....

Hope this helps,
i'm on my third - 3rd - janome. i think they are workhorses. i am using the janome 8000 now (i love it), i have janome gem for traveling (pretty basic) and i bought my dd a janome, three steps up from the bottom for her birthday 4 years ago. they all sew like a dream. my dd never needs repairs, she cleans and oils herself. same with my gem. i have had mine repaired six times in twenty years. not a bad record.

sew on one and see what you think.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

buy an old machine which is a well known brand with as little plastic parts as possible and then when you have more money and you know what you like in a machine after researching then go out and spend but above all take your time! Look at buying used as many people just trade up and the machines are often a good buy. That way you will also have a spare machine if your other one has to go into the shop.
Try all different machines but the features that i couldnt live without is drop feed dogs, needle down everytime it stops and if i ever buy a new machine it will have the biggest throat space imaginable!! Low bobbin sensor would be nice too and i also love the little thread cutter on the side of the machine.
If the machine comes with a walking foot then count yourself lucky as they can cost quite a bit.. all other feet arent that expensive. good luck finding what you need...
:D
Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 PM

I was able to pick up my first janome at a fabric store on sale for $200. It was a janome 3022....still piece on it and now my youngest has taken it over!:)Great machine...even machine quilted on it w/bigger quilts. Came w/many feet too:)Good luck! Keep looking around..Skeat
Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 PM

There are several refurbished Janome 16221 sewing machines on Ebay listed for buy it now price of $99.00, free shipping and says it has full 25 year warranty from a large company.
Does anyone have this machine, if so is it any good?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 AM

I say it depends on what you want.. I was shopping at Target the other day and was strolling by their sewing machines. They had a Brother XL3750 and it was on sale for $99. On further checking it had a "quilting package" with it.
Walking foot, 1/4" foot, quilting foot, quilting guide, and wide "deck" you can add to it.. so far I love it.. and you sure can't beat that price.. it even has a self threader for the needle.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 AM

I really think I need to check into that, I think the feed dogs are messed up on the brother I am sewing on. I do most of my sewing on a 1958 Singer 401A I inherited from my Mother.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Depending on your budget, take a look at the Janome 6125QC, 6260QC or 4900QC. I am looking at the 4900QC myself as I am upgrading from the Janome 6125 which has been and still is a little workhorse, but I want some more whistles and flutes! :D

PS The walking foot and other essential feet all come as standard as well as an extending table and freearm.