Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine >

Sewing Machine

Sewing Machine

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks -- I am hearing really good things about Janome.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the great advice.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks. Once you have a good machine its hard to give it up.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by hokiemom
Thank you I am going to test a Bernina and a Janome. I saw the new Janome machine last week -- its really nice!
I'm sure you will be happy with either one. Be sure and spend lots of time trying each one out.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 PM

I think a big part of your decision is based on how much money you want to spend on your machine. I started on a Kenmore, no computer machine years ago and loved it. When I stepped up I bought a Baby Lock Esante ES1 computerized machine for about $2500. I've had it for about 10 years but the screen image if fading and the model is no longer made so I can't have it repaired. I still use it every day but I rely on a small flashlight to set the stitch length, etc. Then my husband bought me an Elna Quilter's Dream, also computerized but on a much simpler level, for about $500. Last year I bought a Janome Jem for $500. It's lightweight and perfect for classes. I love them all for different reasons. I find I don't need all the fancy stitches, the embroidery attachments and so on. As long as it has a 1/4" foot and auto needle down I am happy. Push button thread cutter and I'm ecstatic! So shop your budget as well as your brands and you'll find what's perfect for your style of quilting. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Thanks so much for the great advice!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:09 PM

I own a Pfaff and love it. I know that not all computerized machines do this (my daughters doesn't so it doesn't apply but it is something to think about), Make sure that if a machine uses downloadable embroidered images or whatever to check if the software is compatible with Windows 7 which is very different from Vista. I've talked to a couple people in my sewing group lately who have almost been caught with this issue and were very glad they checked.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 PM

I love my Janome's, I have 4 different models and have never had a bit of trouble.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:28 PM

For sure, you should take the kind of fabric you sew on to the shop and try sewing/fmq on it with the different machines you are comparing. You might be surprised how they feel once you actually are sewing on them. If you use different threads, bring them along too. Silk or a heavier weight thread might act different in the machines.
I'm planning on purchasing a new machine in the next year or so, so I've been doing some research too. Good Luck!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

No matter what you think in theory, I'd suggest you make a list of the features you want to have (or must have) and then go out to test drive. That is how I found out which was the right machine for me. Turned out to be a Babylock.
I did a lot of research online and test drove a Singer and Janome. Ended up with a Babylock.

Just have fin with it.