Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine? >

Sewing Machine?

Sewing Machine?

Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

a brother machine from walmart is a good place to start...prices range $89-$139 they are user friendly, will hold up for a few years til she's ready to up-grade, and if she decides down the road she's not all that 'in-to sewing' it's not a huge amount to spend. and will last for longer ... she may not use it for a few years then get it out and start again...i did that a number of times over the years. the brother's are great beginner machines! :thumbup:
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM

i agree - brother from walmart. i have two brothers, one is an embroidery. my gd wanted a machine she got one of those $59 ones from joanns - lost interest within 2 months.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM

I hate to disagree with so many but I would definitely not buy a machine from Walmart. They are not of the same quality as those you get from a dealer. Most major brands have lower end machines that are just as good as the more expensive ones just with less features. My 3 young grandchildren have Janome sew minis which are very sturdy and do a straight stitch and zigzag and are great starter machines for young ones. I know that Janome has some great lower end starter machines as well. No matter what brand, I would buy through a dealer. A machine that doesn't work well and is not fun to use will not encourage anyone to sew, in fact, they will probably sew as little as possible. I had a machine that I didn't like for a very long time. - Never again. I love my Janome machines.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM

just bought my dil a brother cs6000i, from joanns online a 500 dollar machine for 200 dollars , i tried it out its nice a good machine would last a beginner for quite awhile.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM

I agree with pollyann. Buy from a dealer. That way, she can take advantage of any instruction classes they have, and you know if something goes wrong, they will be able to take care of it, because service is probably on site. Janome has some really nice machines attheir lower end. So does Baby Lock.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day
My Niece is wanting a sewing machine for Christmas and she is 12 years old and hasnt sewn before so I'm looking for advice on what would be a good starter machine for her. But one that would last for awhile in case she really gets into sewing but not real pricey. Help Please! :-D
I agree with any/all of the comments. As an extension educator, I taught some beginner quilt classes, and by the end of the 3rd lesson, had about 5 kids out of 12 that got machines for christmas. Most bought the Walmart brand and had no trouble with them. A few of the others got grandma's hand-me-downs, which they enjoyed as ever bit as the kids whom got new. Just take sometime, investigate, and you will know how much your niece really wants to enjoy this "hobby". Then also check out the 4-H group in your area, lots of great "Learn by doing".
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 AM

I agree, totally. The saying "You get what you pay for" especially applies to sewing machines. There are plenty of good used machines out there, but the advantage of buying a new machine from a dealer, outweighs buying a good used machine. Warranty for one. Most new machines have a 25 yr. warranty. Service for two. You get service geared to your specific machine. Try getting that from Walmart. Free classes for 3. A person can learn to quilt, make clothes, etc., etc., and the people teaching the classes know your machine and what it can and can't do. I know the frustration a person experiences when a machine behaves badly and I did now want my granddaughter to go through that. It was worth it to me to get her a good machine from the get-go. It's not like you're buying a toy that they'll lose interest in next week. This is a machine that will last beyond its 25 yr. warranty. It is an investment in their future sewing interests.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 AM

I have a friend who sews a lot,really a lot.she bought a walmart cheapy-killed it in 3 mos.got another one-same thing.they are for light use not for a sewing junkie.you do get what you pay for
Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 AM

Janome has a line of great machines and they fit everyones pocket. It's also a great brand. I wouldn't part with mine for anything. I got mine at Fabric Art Shop in Lake City FL. Go on line to call them and see if they can ship you one of their cheaper models. You won't be disappointed.

Any of the cheaper stuff at WalMart will break down in no time at all and the repairs will cost more than just buying a new machine. If she truely shows a good amount of interest, make the investment of a Janome with one of their simple machines. They run smooth and are the simplest ones to use. Their manuals are easy to read with great pictures. Please let us know what you get and how well she receives it.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33
I have a friend who sews a lot,really a lot.she bought a walmart cheapy-killed it in 3 mos.got another one-same thing.they are for light use not for a sewing junkie.you do get what you pay for
I used to work in a sewing machine/fabric store and it is unfortunate when a person brings in a $100 machine for repairs that are going to cost $80 and may or may not last. That, for me would be a key consideration. For an additional $50 a person can get a new machine with a great warranty that will provide a great deal of pleasure to work with.