Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines "that" >

Sewing Machines "that"

Sewing Machines "that"

Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 PM

I use just a little paper piece under the first few stitches or a leader piece--but my old machines RARELY do that , even on little triangles. However, prevention is easier than the mess, so it is habit now!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

I've never had a problem with that since I got my Bernina. My old Kenmore did it all the time!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM

make sure you are using a sharp needle. A dull needle with push the fabric down rather than piercing it.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by RitaFaye
DO NOT pull the fabric into the feed dogs when starting off .......is there any machine out there that does not do this?. I I know there is a way to not have it do that by using material but that is the number one complaint about my machine- would like to find one that doesn't do it. thanks Rita
What kind of sewing machine do you have?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Zigzag Elna loves to eat small fabrics. The straight stitch Singer 301 never does and I've been working with multiple small HSTs this week. So if you can get a plate with a smaller hole, that should work.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 AM

JuneC I have a Kenmore *LOL* I like the machine .....
Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by gunny148
My Brother will from time to time make a nest of thread, but i figured out wht it was Not enough material under the foot. my problem is i always turn the fabric before its finisg sewing
Gunny, do you have a needle up/needle down button? If so use the needle down so when you pivot your fabric it should continue sewing smoothly for you. When piecing or any straight stitching the single hole plate is the way to go. The zig zag plate is great for everything else. As mentioned make sure you have a good needle without burrs or dull. All these things plus making sure your tension is adjusted properly will solve the problem.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 AM

My Janome doesn'tdo it. I was told to make sure the first stitch goes into the fabric so I always make sure of that.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 AM

If you have a straight stitcher with a single hole needle plate is the only way, otherwise you will have to get used to starting all of your pieces with a bit of 'waste' fabric. You place the scrap piece in front of your sewing each time you start a run. That stops your main piece being pulled into the plate. Once you get into the habit, it is very simple to snip off the waste bit and continue to re - use it until it is 'sewn to death'.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
It doesn't happen so much if you use a single hole needle plate. See if one is available for your machine. Just remember to change it before you zigzag!
I'll add to this, use a small scrap of fabric to start and end your sewing, Bonnie Hunter calls these leaders and enders!

OOps, I'm guilty of not reading all the posts, others have this same idea. :)