Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines on airlines? >

Sewing machines on airlines?

Sewing machines on airlines?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Just do not let them put it in the baggage compartment, where it will be subject to all kinds of bad treatment. If you're traveling at all on a small commuter plane, you may have to hand it over on the tarmac when you board the plane, so be sure to tell them to be careful with it! I think I would be tempted to put some additional padding inside the case, just in case.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM

I have traveled with my FW numerous times. She has been swabbed for drugs, used for training, and admired! I found a rolling backpack that she fits is perfectly. I precut my project , ziploc bag it and use it for padding. My parents think I'm kinda loony (my mom still has the sewing machine I learned on, but we have a hate-hate relationship!), but my husband is so used to me traveling with it, he looks for it if its not with the rest of my things! (hey! HE takes his golf clubs!!!) Happy Sewing!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
I have traveled with my FW many times... lay it on it's side and it fits under the seat, just like any other carry on....
Some flights do not have that space, if the plane is a smaller jet *wink*
Also, some flights have been limiting carryons to 1 per person, but they don't tell you that until right before boarding. Then they ask you to hand them your second bag to put in the hold.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 AM

You need to call your airline to make sure. All of the airlines have different regulations and you sure wouldn't like to be told at the the scanner that you can't take it on....
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM

I don't fly but wanted to say; Have a good trip Maryann!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:38 AM

My friend flew with her small machine recently, and she still had the original packaging for it, which fit within the airlines carry on limits. She then packed it into a small tote bag.The scanning folks kept sending it back and forth, and calling other staff over etc. Finally they asked her - "This looks like a sewing machine, are we right?" She just laughed and confirmed, and they opened it up. I guess for this bunch, it was their first time ever seeing anyone "carry on" one.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 AM

I asked about this a while back as TSA and airlines were not helpful, just repeated their standard guff. I ended up strapping the FW into a small suitcase, padded well, and checked it in. It arrived safe and sound.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:07 AM

I didn't take my machine! BUT, I did take an embroidery project from PA-FL...with a needle and a small scissors!! They allow a scissors up to a 4" blade!! I couldn't believe it! and the 'guidelines' said nothing about a needle! went thru security without a hitch coming & going! GOOD LUCK to you! & enjoy sewing...of course!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 AM

If you're going to be near me in central NY, I'd be happy to lend you a machine. I've been buying older all steel ZZ machines to refurbish and, hopefully, sell next summer in a garage sale. They all work perfectly and I would not mind lending them out to another member of the group. If you're not going to be too far from me I'll even deliver it.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 AM

I'd call the airline, and possibly TSA. It should be no problem, but what would happen if they said no? I also think it might
depend on the airline. I almost took one of my machines on a recent trip, and I called the airline (Delta). The agent wasn't sure, so she checked with her supervisor. The answer was yes - but I'd call anyway.