Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing machines broke

Sewing machines broke

I'm in tears. My beloved sewing machines broke. Yes - the new one is frozen in the up position. It is a Brother SE350. Any ideas on how to fix it?

So I got out my beloved Bernina 630 (yes it is old) and everything I sewed seemed to gather- adjusted tension and still did it. It then smelled a little warm so I stopped. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Son's college quilt did not get done- but we did get him moved into college today. Quilt will have to wait until I can figure out a solution. Hopefully I can fix it at home.

Surely you can fix one of the machines. It won't be too long until your son's quilt is finished, I just know it. (It's always something, isn't it?)

My bet is on you! Sorry that I know nothing about your machines, but someone here will. Just want you to know that you aren't alone...

Dina

I feel your pain! I trust all goes well as you find a solution. What have you done to try to fix the first one?

For the brother, I would unplug everything, unhook everything, then reconnect everything. If the computer is frozen you can still lower with the hand crank. Hope it gets fixed fast
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    Did you change the electric leads or keep the same one? For the dozen machine. Switch off and leave for a day go back clean it coletely undoing as much asossible with out ruining the warranty.you will be finishing the quilt tomorrow.

Hot smell has some one put oil in the wrong place or used the wrong oil. Or does it need a clean because some fluff somewhere.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    If the Brother is new I would immediately take it back to the dealer - actually, I would take them both either to an authorized dealer, or if the Brother's warranty is not still in effect, to a certified sewing machine repair place. I know that can be expensive, but to me it is well worth not making matters worse by trying to fix things myself that I know NOTHING about. Good luck no matter what you do.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Blog Entries
    If you haven't tried this yet, Take the bobbin housing apart as much as you can. There may be a snippet of thread caught in the movements. Also, rethread your machine with polyester thread. Then cut the thread at the spool and pull it through by the needle. Then do it again, sometimes there is lint caught in the tensioner. these are a few of the "tricks" I used to due to free up my dmil's singer 401A all the time.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

So sorry. When my machine doesn't work right, I worry over it like a sick child. Hope yours gets fixed soon.

So sorry I hope it I hope it is nothing serious!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    If you haven't tried this yet, Take the bobbin housing apart as much as you can. There may be a snippet of thread caught in the movements. Also, rethread your machine with polyester thread. Then cut the thread at the spool and pull it through by the needle. Then do it again, sometimes there is lint caught in the tensioner. these are a few of the "tricks" I used to due to free up my dmil's singer 401A all the time.
    I totally agree with these suggestions. When my Bailey freezes up, removing the bobbin and hook will get it moving again.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

This may sound silly, but I know someone who's Janome 12000 wouldn't do anything but beep when you touched the buttons. Seems someone had wound a bobbin and the little detector thing had not gone all the way back. Moved it back and all is fine! Try anything!

Blog Entries
    I was sewing on my Janome and my machine froze up. You couldn't move the wheel it was locked up. It said in the little window "LO", foot feed would work either. I purchase this machine new in Feb, should be under warranty.
    Nancy. . . Alameda, Ca.