Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines: Metal or Plastic >

Sewing Machines: Metal or Plastic

Sewing Machines: Metal or Plastic

Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
I have a Brother PQ1500S, which is really heavy and solid. I think it's a combination of plastic and metal. I *adore* this machine. It's not computerized, and it doesn't have any zigzag stitches. It's just a solid piece of equipment, a workhorse.
I also have that machine and agree, it's a great machine.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
The more money you pay the more metal you will get, plastic does have its place though because metal is not as easily portable, my plastic cheap brother goes to all my classes and never has a lick of problems, my metal machine weighs about 35lb, 50 with the embroidery unit which is also super heavy. There is no best sewing machine there is just a preference of brand, you will find die hards for all the brands hear. you have to test drive different brands to see what feels right for you, for me I love my brothers/babylocks and wouldn't even stray to another
brand, even bernina. There are a lot of janome fans on here as well as bernina and pfaff and then you have the vintage group that wont even touch new machines, and people like me that have no interest in vintage even though I have a few featherweights coming my way one day. Really its just all boils down to preference because all brands have quality machines and some of lower quality in the more affordable range. I would just suggest set a budget, attend a show with lots of dealers and test drive as many machines as possible in and even out of you price range so that you know what
features are out there if you want to upgrade one day when you can afford more. Usually sewing expo, craft fairs, county
fairs will have your local dealers with specials going on gives you a goo chance to get to know your most local dealers.
I totally agree with you - you couldn't have said it any better. I do love my "dinky mechanical" Brother machines - am tempted by the Dreamweaver or comparable Baby Lock Crescendo. Have you tried most of the features? Likes/dislikes?