Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines - new? >

Sewing Machines - new?

Sewing Machines - new?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 PM

Try a vintage featherweight 221 for taking to classes only 11#. But they only stitch forward. If you think you might need reverse get the featherweights big sister the 301 16#. I love them both!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM

I have several Brothers and haven't had any major problems with them. I have a dealer that is fairly close to me and he is good about getting it in and out. I have bought some on ebay from dealers that have been used in classes and they have been wonderful machines. I sew 4 to 6 hours a day and I am very satisfied. I make doll quilts for Head Start, Habitat for Humanity quilts, quilts for soliders, and many charities as well as for my family. I really don't know much about all the machines and I know some people buy for the expensive big names. I want a work horse and am happy with mine. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 AM

Thanks to all who posted - you gave me lots to think about!

I was very surprised to hear from DH that the repairman also sells new machines in his shop! I'd been there once before and saw lots of vacuums but only a few sewing machines. So I'm thinking that HE would honor his own warranty - now THAT might be worth looking into!

He was saying that Toyota bought the Nissi (?) brand, and was going to be converting them a few at a time to the Toyota brand; that's why there's only two on the Toyota website now.

I'm particularly looking for a lightweight one because after I retire (oh happy day!!) in several years, we're hoping to do some traveling in a motor home or travel trailer. DH likes to sit outside at night for hours at a time, which I think is boring - so I'll sew!

I guess most of us stick with what we know, if we've had good experiences with it - I wish they still made Kenmores!