Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines Styles and brands >

Sewing machines Styles and brands

Sewing machines Styles and brands

Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Janome in anything, worth the money, has the best needle threader ever.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Had an old Singer. Replaced it about 6 years ago with a Bernina Activa 220. While I love my Bernina, accessories (like a walking foot) can be pricey. Worked for a LQS that sold Janomes and would recommend them. Plus accessories aren't overly expensive. Hope that helps.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 PM

Owner of a husqvarna viking Designer 1, Pfaff Select 3 and Janome 6600P...all have great qualities....but for quilting would have to go with the Janome, followed by Pfaff, then Husqvarna..
Have had the Janome a month now and there have been somethings I have had to get used to....thread constantly coming out of the needle...rectified by holding thread at back...for small piecing it really is happy with the start/stop mode not using the foot pedal.....didn't think the walking foot was as good as the Pfaffs IDT to begin with but am beginning to rethink that now as I get more used to the machine...

My advice when looking for a machine is write down your must have features, followed by your would love to have features, and take them into a dealer....don't come away with anything that isn't on your must have list otherwise you will be dissappointed and take fabric and batting... try as many machines as you can. If you only try them with a scrap of fabric they will feel totally different when you have the batting etc under the needle.
Also if you have a good dealer buying second hand can be a great way to get a wonderful machine at a knock down price....Good Luck.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Power Poster

viking designer one
singer-1956 99K
brother 3---somthing

the viking is my standard- use in the sewing room for everything (has embroidery capabilities)
singer- my at work- take to classes machine
brother the great-speed controlled easy enough for the granddaughters to use basic machine.

and then the long arm.

any machine you like is a good choice- great quilters quilt their quilts on domestic machines- some on old singers- some with fancier computerized machines-it's just what has a good even stitch= and works for you
try out as many as you can--when you visit most dealers they will let you try out machines
shows also have machines to try out
Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 AM

At this moment I have a Euro Pro that is my take with machine because of weight its very light and has enough stitch options & accessories to hold me over till I am home. My everyday do all machine is my Janome MC10000, I have had this machine 6-7yrs now and still haven't used every stitch or embroidery design available on it. I do alot of FMQ on it. I also have a Juki which I use with a grace quilting table for quilting, love its speed & its a work horse also a great machine for sewing very heavy or layers & layers of fabrics.

But honestly I think its what you become comfortable with I learned on an old Singer trettle and there really wasn't much I couldn't do on it except all the fancy computerized embrodiery stitches, I did do monograms & even some fancy embroidery designs using a small wooden hoop and free handing it. Just took lots of practice. I did have a great teacher she would make me sit and sew circles, squares, zippers & button holes till I was blue in the face before she actually let me make anything real! LOL Wasn't until I sewned my own finger then she said ok your are now officially a seamstress! LOL

My best advice is test drive them before you buy and make sure your dealer is reliable for service. So far I have only needed limited service on my machines although I clean & oil mine regularly myself.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

Janome 6500 knee lifter for sewing foot, large throat opening, needle up and down, needle threader,push button automatic thread cutter this is generally the machine I quilt on. A lot of bang for the buck. What I don't like is that I had to spend the money to buy a straight stitch plate. It did not come with it. Also it is way to big/heavy to lug around.

I have many vintage machines including two that are treadles. I love the all metal parts. That makes it that many are also to heavy to lug around with the exception of the Bernina 830 (vintage one), Elna super matic, Singer Feather Weight and Singer 301. Currently a white Feather Weight is what I am piecing on. What I do not like is many are very heavy, no knee lifter (except for the Bernina 830) and no thread cutter. Some of them in cabinet have a knee control instead of a foot control. It takes a moment to get used to but I like it. Many are straight stitch only. Things I miss on them needle threader, even a basic thread cutting area on the machine is abscent, no needle up and down, no automatic thread cutter etc. All the wonderful bells and wisthles on the more modern Janome 6500.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 AM

My Viking Sapphire 830 has some great features.
10 inch throat
Needle down
Auto lift in needle down for all my sewing.
The machine automatically lowers foot when you start to sew.
push button to lift foot in increments.
The only thing I do not like is the height around needle area, it is to low and hard to get your hand in to change feet.