Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing maching tips >

Sewing maching tips

Sewing maching tips

Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 AM

Read your manual on your machine!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
The tip about lint is #1. I think #2 is, if it sounds different as it sews there is almost certainly something that needs fixing. You may need to rethread or reseat the bobbin.
#3 is make sure the presser foot is up when you thread the needle.
Good luck with the new machine..
# 2 : a different sound could also mean your needle needs to be changed (my Brother machines start sounding noisy plucking sound when the needle is dull)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewmerry View Post
#4 , which to me needed to be #1, NEVER adjust tension with the presser foot in the raised position. It took me a long time with tension problems 'til my repairman and salesman saw what was happening to my tension. I had been sewing for many years before I found this out . Maybe all machines are not this way but my old New Home has been this way from day one.
I've been sewing forever and didn't know this tip. Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

My Bernina is made of a 'self oiling metal'. I was told to never oil it because it could guck thing up. Check with your dealer and READ YOUR MANUAL to see whether you have this to deal with. I do put a drop of oil on the bobbin race and run the machine a bit with a scrap of quilt sandwich to absorb excess oil before I start sewing with good material.

Good luck with your new pet.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewmerry View Post
#4 , which to me needed to be #1, NEVER adjust tension with the presser foot in the raised position. It took me a long time with tension problems 'til my repairman and salesman saw what was happening to my tension. I had been sewing for many years before I found this out . Maybe all machines are not this way but my old New Home has been this way from day one.
Well I have to say I have been sewing forever and did not know this either. After fighting with my tension yesterday I am now sitting here wondering if that was the problem I was having !! Thanks for the tip. See even us oldies can learn something ...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 AM

Set aside a little time each day and just play with your machine. If you are new to sewing, make a stitch book. Try out each stitch on different types of fabric and put in a note book. Take any and all free classes that come with your machine. Make notes in your note book. (This will be your Bible later on in life). Start out with small projects and sew with a friend who is knowledgeable about sewing. Have fun with your new machine. It will open a whole new wourld for you!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Don't be afraid to experiment. Don't think there is anything I can add.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
All great tips.

I'd add:
- Play around with the different stitches and feet.
Enjoy!
That's my suggestion also! And keep a record of what setting you used to get the look you wanted, if possible keep the little scrap you practiced on and write the tension info right on the scrap.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Depending on how new you are:
1. Always let the machine feed the fabric, don't tug, pull or push. Your hands are the steering wheel, your foot is the gas, just like a car.
2. loops on the bottom are a top tension (too loose) problem. Counter intuitive, I know. It took me 25 years to not learn that. From 10 to 35 I hated sewing machines (and never sewed unless it was webbing for dog harnesses) and thought it was broken when that happened. My dad must have paid a fortune for "Service" on that machine in the beginning.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by meldmac View Post
Im excited I just ordered the brother sq9050! Now to say I'm a beginner with sewing machines is an understatement. Just wondered if anyone has any tips for a beginner to sewing machines?
Tip #1 Use this BOARD, I have learned so much.