Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing Scissors on Plastic

Sewing Scissors on Plastic

I am aware that paper dulls scissors, but what about lightweight plastic? I heard one person tell me that cutting lightweight plastic, such as plastic grocery bags will not dull scissors. Is that true?

I think it will dull them. I have my good Gingher shears that I only cut fabric with. Natural fiber fabric. I have had them better than 25 years and have never had to sharpen them. Then I have another pair of scissors that I use for paper, cardboard plastic and whatever else I want to cut. Why take the chance of ruining good shears just to cut plastic?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I use my spring loaded Fiskars scissors on paper, thin plastic templates, etc., have done it for over 10 years and they've been sharpened once during that time, and even then, it wasn't that they were dull but there was a small area, maybe an inch, where they wouldn't cut as good as the rest of the scissor.

The reason that I am asking is because my church sewing group (Loose Threads of Hope) is making pocket tissue holders. At our next meeting we will be cutting a slit in the plastic wrapper of the tissues and inserting the package in the holders. I already have the ladies bringing sewing or clipping scissors for our projects, and I didn't want to have to ask for or provide other scissors for this session if it wouldn't be necessary. Just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Blog Entries
    I had a small nick in my spring loaded fiskars. I was not going to spend money having them sharpened so I decided to try my diamond emery board to smooth out the nicks. Works like brand new now

I don't know about plastic but Carol Doak said that you will not dull the blades cutting paper. Since she is a paper piecing maven I'm assuming she knows what she's talking about. I don't use mine for anything other than fabric though

Are you talking about the packets of tissues that you carry in your purse? If so, every package I have seen has a perforated top. No scissors needed.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
    Are you talking about the packets of tissues that you carry in your purse? If so, every package I have seen has a perforated top. No scissors needed.
    Yes, they do have a top opening, but the fabric pocket tissue holders that we are making have the opening going the long way. To make it work the best, we open the plastic packet as usual and then slit from top to bottom with a scissors.

I am careful with the serrated blades what I cut with them but the others are whatever I pick up first are the ones I use.

I have a sew day at a local church and we make these tissue holders for the church to have a basket full of the tissue holders available to all for funeral services.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 06-24-2018 at 04:39 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I am careful with the serrated blades what I cut with them but the others are whatever I pick up first are the ones I use.

I have a sew day at a local church and we make these tissue holders for the church to have a basket full of the tissue holders available to all for funeral services.
    What a wonderful idea! I enjoy making these, and your idea would be great for the more adult looking fabrics.

Last year my friend and I gave a program about Featherweight's at guild. We had 8 FW's available for people to try, because many had never used a FW before. For something for them to sew, we had the tissue holders made up to the point of the last 2 seams, and they were pinned. It was just enough sewing for them to have a taste of the FW, and in addition, they got to take home a momento. For those tissue holders I used the FW print available at April 1930's shop.

If in doubt, maybe you could purchase a child's pair of pointed Fiskar's. They usually have good size handle holes. I keep a couple of pairs of them that I got at the before school sales 10 years ago for things such as this and they are going strong.

I understand that it is the acid in paper that ruins scissors. I wonder if the plastic has the damaging acid?
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Maybe you could tell them what you will be cutting, and if they would like to bring a different pair for the project.
    I have other scissors around the house and would prefer not to use my sewing scissors for anything other than fabric.

It is so much better to have one pair that is designated for fabric only and another for paper and plastic, etc. This assures you clean fabric cutting!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I have them all over the house for use on anything anyone wants to cut, but the ones in my sewing room are for fabric only and everyone knows it.

I have several Fiskars scissors and keep them razor sharp with a Fiskars scissors sharpener, haven't found one for my pinking shears yet though.I use the spring loaded ones for cutting "plarn" out of the grocery bags, haven't noticed them getting any more dull than the others.

I was just reading about a group that makes the tissue holders for their church, apparently they have a basket full of them they set out for funerals. Anyhow, they use their seam rippers to open the tissue packs.