Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Seams Pressed to the Side >

Sewing Seams Pressed to the Side

Sewing Seams Pressed to the Side

Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Sewing Seams Pressed to the Side

I usually press seams open to avoid this, but sometimes you need to press seams to the side. What do you do when those seams are all facing the same way? In other words, they do not butt together. Do you twist the seam so it nestles together? Or, are there other solutions to the problem?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

If I am sewing rows together, I use a pin to let me know which way to press them so they will nest.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

If I can plan ahead so that the seams nest then I do so, but often that isn't possible (or I forget). I have no problem letting a seam allowance flip direction in the middle of a seam if that makes the points easier to match. I hesitate to clip into a seam allowance to flip it though.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:22 PM

Sometimes when that happens I'll reverse the direction of one of the seams if possible, or let it switch directions as it wants to in the center, or press those seams open before sewing, which gets half the seam out of the pile up.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:02 PM

I clip the seam and flip it to nest. I figure I'd been clipping seams as per instructions on garments for years without problems, so it should work with quilts. If it's a light/dark, then I do it so the bulk of the seam is to the dark side.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If I can plan ahead so that the seams nest then I do so, but often that isn't possible (or I forget). I have no problem letting a seam allowance flip direction in the middle of a seam if that makes the points easier to match. I hesitate to clip into a seam allowance to flip it though.
ditto for me...................
Old 08-04-2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I clip the seam and flip it to nest. I figure I'd been clipping seams as per instructions on garments for years without problems, so it should work with quilts. If it's a light/dark, then I do it so the bulk of the seam is to the dark side.
. I too clip the seam as a last resort, but I've heard that it's not advisable. I don't know why. What is the harm in doing this?
Old 08-04-2018, 05:39 AM

Just a guess, but it could weaken the seam. I have had to do it sometimes, but not as a usual behavior.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 AM

I figure if it works for clothing where the seam is going to be getting a lot more stress and rubbing,(like armholes, crotch seams. . .) it should be fine in a quilt that once you bind and quilt it, there is going to be way less stress on that seam. Yes, it may "weaken" it, but I doubt anyone has done any testing to quantify the difference.

I do this a lot with my very small pieced blocks. Unless I'm not careful and snip the seam, I've never had it be an issue.

However I do try to plan and press seams so I don't need to do this, but sometimes with the small blocks, it's not possible if you want to avoid a big bump of seams coming together.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:59 AM

ditto for me, too.