Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with silk thread? >

Sewing with silk thread?

Sewing with silk thread?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Default Sewing with silk thread?

I picked up some gorgeous silk thread at a tag sale last week. Hot pink and lots of it! My quilting style is more modern so I was thinking it might be a great accent. But I generally use cotton when making quilts... okay to sew with silk thread? Both of my machines are vintage.

Thanks.

Rachel
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM

I would not piece with silk thread. Many people do hand applique using silk thread. Check the Superior Thread website for information on thread.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I would save the silk thread for applique and/or quilting (either by hand or machine). I wouldn't use it for piecing.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 PM

I love silk for hand sewing my binding - the stitches just 'disappear'. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to quilt with it, as silk is very strong. Most people probably don't because silk is so expensive.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 AM

Silk is very strong, I don't see a problem. Most quilters use silk for the actual quilting because its so expense they don't piece with it.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

I use silk thread for hand piecing all the time- it is so fine and smooth- a joy to work with and you do not have to worry about that whole *scant 1/4"* it is fine enough to not cause that whole (thread taking up space in the seam)
I also use it for applique and quilting. I love using silk thread. I understand some of the comments about not using it for machine piecing- but I think it's just because it tends to be an expensive thread- and people tend to use it for either decorative applications or for hand work. I do use it for machine applique and machine quilting without a problem- (when using it for machine applications I generally have either aurifil or a cotton thread in the bobbin- using the silk on top. use it any way you want- it's a wonderful thread!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:13 AM

I once used silk thread for a mini log cabin so that the stitches would disappear. I don't think I would use it on a large quilt. But if you got it for a bargain, why not? I think it would hold up fine.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

So far all the posts have assumed you have fine silk thread (like the 90 or 100wt) there is also much heavier silk threads out there. The heavier weight ones don't sink into the fabric like the 100wt does. Can you elaborate what weight ply your thread is? It should say on the spool somewhere. The weight and ply of the thread makes a difference for what application you want to use it for. The heavier weight ones are usually used for decorative stitching.

Also, don't be confused by 100% silk thread and cotton thread with a silk finish. Mettler makes one and the spool says "silk" on it but it isn't silk, it is 100% cotton with a shiny smooth finish on it.

Either way, by all means it is ok to sew with whatever you have, unless of course, it is a silk finish cotton and it may be brittle from being old. Do a snap test on it to make sure it is still strong enough to use, if you happen to have a silk finish cotton.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-07-2014 at 05:35 AM.