Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: sewing without bobbin thread...

Have you ever continued sewing without bobbin thread... I mean... without realizing it ran out?

I was speeding right along, doing the strips for the scrappy fence, and getting pretty comfortable with the 1/4" seams.... when I noticed that... the top thread seemed to be coming loose from the fabric....

So stopped sewing, pulled out the strip and lo and behold, the bobbin was empty... ok... not so bad you say.. at least I noticed it...

Well, that was after sewing 4 sets of strips without a bobbin thread (8.5" strips... 4 of them... chain piecing, so not having to lift the presser foot, or cut threads... but you would think I would have noticed! LOL)

AND... why is it that the seams seem to be so much straighter when I run out of bobbin thread...

I like stopping to fill a bobbin, gives me a chance to stretch out my back... need a better chair.

Just thought I would share my... oh my gosh... moment

we need an alarm for when the bobbin is getting close to empty hehe

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I do all the time and it drives me crazy. Just when I feel I am making progress the bobbin runs out!

we call that pre sewing in my house :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Big smile. Yes, I am sure we have all done this. Maybe not quite so many strips (laughter), but definitely it has happened to all of us. Thanks for sharing a chuckle.

Blog Entries
    all the time! My machine beeps at everyother turn when I don't want it to..but not when the bobbin runs out..go figure!

I would have continued along unaware and happy as a lark, had I not noticed that the top thread looked loose heh

Glad to know I am not the only one that does it.

Blog Entries
    well, i haven't done multiple strips, but one strip i did that on was quite long :)

Happened to me again today as I was merrily piecing along :-(

Blog Entries
    I wish someone would invent a bell to ring when the bobbin gets a few feet from the end, Or a light to blink or anything to indicate low bobbin thread!

I'm right there with you! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    My brother is electronic and notifies me when it is low

That is one thing I like about my machine it will not sew if the bobbin it low it also will not sew if the thread comes out of the needle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaorth
    I would have continued along unaware and happy as a lark, had I not noticed that the top thread looked loose heh

Glad to know I am not the only one that does it.
    Oh yes, have done it many times. I usually notice when the chain stitched pairs start falling off the edge of the sewing cabinet!

Mine has a warning sound - then won't work if I run out.

ah so some machines do warn that the thread is low in the bobbin. handy...

speaking of sewing... time to try to finish up the first pairings of these strips!

be back later

Ever notice you run out of bobbin thread with only a couple of inches left to sew? Makes me crazy.

Many of the newer (and some older) models have a low-bobbin light or beep. I do notice that when the bobbin thread runs out the machine makes a different sound. By the way, I have machines that flash or beep, but I still run out, because I am not going to waste the yard or so that is still on the bobbin. haha

I have done that several times, although never quite as far you have, but it's very aggravating. You are not alone.

Blog Entries
    I was speeding right along, doing the strips for the scrappy fence, and getting pretty comfortable with the 1/4" seams....
    AND... why is it that the seams seem to be so much straighter when I run out of bobbin thread...
    There's your alarm or buzzer - when you get comfortable with the 1/4" seam and you're speeding right along!

Yep been there and done that ...

I like to preload a few bobbins that way I can just empty, drop in and zoom right along. Getting up often is never a problem with me.

Blog Entries
    Have you ever continued sewing without bobbin thread... I mean... without realizing it ran out?

I was speeding right along, doing the strips for the scrappy fence, and getting pretty comfortable with the 1/4" seams.... when I noticed that... the top thread seemed to be coming loose from the fabric....

So stopped sewing, pulled out the strip and lo and behold, the bobbin was empty... ok... not so bad you say.. at least I noticed it...

Well, that was after sewing 4 sets of strips without a bobbin thread (8.5" strips... 4 of them... chain piecing, so not having to lift the presser foot, or cut threads... but you would think I would have noticed! LOL)

I like stopping to fill a bobbin, gives me a chance to stretch out my back... need a better chair.

Just thought I would share my... oh my gosh... moment

we need an alarm for when the bobbin is getting close to empty hehe
    My Vikings have a beep that tells me there is about 18" of bobbin thread left. Makes an expensive machine worthwhile. I usually fill several bobbins at once before I ever start sewing so I don't have to change my mindset, just pop in a new bobbin and away I go.

Banned
    Both my Brother machines tell me when I am running out of bobbin thread.

That is the most annoying issue with my Bernina. All of my previous machines have had drop in bobbins and I could see how much bobbin thread was left. I am always "sewing air" now...

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I wish someone would invent a bell to ring when the bobbin gets a few feet from the end, Or a light to blink or anything to indicate low bobbin thread!

I'm right there with you! :thumbup:
    My Pfaff has a light that blinks when 3 ft are left...just enough to get to then of your seam and then reload...i usually have about 2--2 1/2 ft left, which i thread into a hand needle and hang on a magnet inside my sewing cupboard...ready to mend or finish something without having to look for needle or the right color thread... there are usually a half dozen pre-threaded needles ready to go... occasionally, i take them in and stick them on a magnet by the dryer.... handy there, too...

Yes, it has happened to me...many times...though I have gotten better at listening to my machine...as when it gets really low on bobbin thread there is a different sound...hard to describe...but sort of a metal echo. I only hear it if I am sewing without a radio on, or other noise going on around me. Otherwise, am glad when I notice it within a short time and don't sew whole borders on before noticing.

i have that same problem of not stopping when my machine beeps (really how much can that yard of thread cost) lol

Blog Entries
    Fortunately my machine beeps when it is nearly empty. Love that feature.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast