Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
shape cut plus >

shape cut plus

shape cut plus

Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 AM

Default shape cut plus

I bought a shape plus cut June Taylor 12x18 slotted ruler. One of those I think I want one, on sale 40% off and add 20% off total purchase at JoAnn's. Cuts strips, strips into squares, squares into triangles, marks for diamonds, and perfect fringe. They only have two there the one I bought and a smaller one 12x12 inch.
I looking in line ( we have a we call a shoe box store small) and saw so many. Now i wonder are they really good, should I have gotten another one larger or something called astrology ( not sure that the right name).
Before i tear the plastic off I would like information on it, thanks. I thought I knew what I was doing kinda thing.
It was $49.00 I got it for $22.00. Wanted a larger one but they did not have one. Small town USA. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:23 AM

I love mine. I use it all of the time. I hate cutting without it

I have friends who don't feel that same love But I think it sounds like you got a great deal
Old 05-29-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by sherian View Post
I bought a shape plus cut June Taylor 12x18 slotted ruler. One of those I think I want one, on sale 40% off and add 20% off total purchase at JoAnn's. Cuts strips, strips into squares, squares into triangles, marks for diamonds, and perfect fringe. They only have two there the one I bought and a smaller one 12x12 inch.
I looking in line ( we have a we call a shoe box store small) and saw so many. Now i wonder are they really good, should I have gotten another one larger or something called astrology ( not sure that the right name).
Before i tear the plastic off I would like information on it, thanks. I thought I knew what I was doing kinda thing.
It was $49.00 I got it for $22.00. Wanted a larger one but they did not have one. Small town USA. Thanks again.
I have the June Taylor Shape Plus & the Creative Grids Stripology. Imo, they are as essential a tool to me as my 6"x24" ruler. I prefer the CG one because it is thicker, enabling my 45mm blade to stay in the slot. The June T one is thinner and my blade often slips out of the slot when cutting. The CG one also has a (visual) key, making it easy to cut 2-1/2" strips, for example.
Enjoy!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 AM

I have the Creative Grids Stripology ruler and it's fantastic. I can't sing its praises enough. I can cut a jelly roll's worth of background in under 15 minutes. It's bigger than the June Tailor ruler (cuts up to 14x20) and it has the nice grippy stuff underneath that Creative Grids does really well. I think I got mine on Amazon for around $50? I'm about to use it to make a pixel quilt and I actually get really excited every time I get to use this ruler.

Just wanted to add: it has half inch slots, and also includes instructions on how to do cuts at the 1/4" so you're not just stuck cutting at increments of 1/2". The common cuts at 1.5in and 2.5in multiples are marked with special symbols so you don't even have to do math.

Last edited by Sephie; 05-29-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 05-29-2017, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

i find that the JT one is thin enough to allow side to side movement of the slot divisions
Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 AM

I have both sizes of the Shape Cut rulers and use them both, the larger one when cutting from yardage, the smaller one when cutting from fat quarters. I've never had problems with the ruler slipping or the rotary cutter coming out of the slots. When they wear out I may consider replacing with a Stripology. If I could get a Shape Cut for the price you paid I wouldn't think twice about buying it. BTW, Shape Cut also has instructions for cutting in 1/4 inch increments. I mark the slots for the sizes I'm cutting with a blue painter's tape triangle. It works well for me. I also cut from the right edge to the left, holding the ruler secure with my left hand. This seems to keep it from slipping. I suppose you could use grip strips if slippage is an issue.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 05-29-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I would take it back and invest in the Stripology. My grandfather told me that you forget the cost of a quality tool but never forget the cost of a shoddy one.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I think the CG one being thicker is a good thing. i have the June Tailor one and hardly ever use it. I did get nervous when watching the lady cut. her left hand looked so vulnerable. needed one of those klutz gloves.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:42 AM

I have the June Taylor Shape cutter - and I use it all the time. I have the smaller one - Walmart had it on clearance and it jumped into my cart. :-) Honestly I didn't know if I was ever going to use it - but it turns out I use it a lot. When I am cutting a lot of pieces I actually use my Accuquilt strips, But it allows me to cut larger sizes. I have several rotary cutters and with the Shape cutter I can use either the 45 mm or the 28 mm. And I have not had any trouble with the cutter coming out of the slots. It stores on top of a small cabinet that holds all my 14 x 14 project boxes.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:08 PM

I have the june taylor one too and I use it lots. Stripology may be better quality and have extra features, but for the price, JT does what I need it to do. Works for me! If something were to happen to it, I would probably get the Stripology, if I could find it on sale.