Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Share a picture of your first

Blog Entries

Share a picture of your first

A recent post has got me thinking and wondering about everyones first quilts. Are you willing to post a picture of your first quilt? Would be fun to see your last one too, for some of us, they are still the same!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Never thought to take pictures. I made my first quilt in 1966. It is long gone.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Can only find this one picture and it's the flimsy stage.Name:  profilepic36539_2.gif.jpeg
Views: 1029
Size:  4.3 KB Hmmm, small picture, but it's a fan quilt.

I made my first 7 years ago - I came very late to quilting. A friend asked me to make a prayer quilt, so I went to the library chose a pattern, went to the church closet and chose some fabrics (nothing I'd want) and made a quilt. Partial seams, setting triangles, etc. No quilting. We tie the prayer quilts.
    Name:  100_0177.JPG
Size:  1.24 MB

Jennie--Your first one had all those curves! Oh my goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    I made my first 7 years ago - I came very late to quilting. A friend asked me to make a prayer quilt, so I went to the library chose a pattern, went to the church closet and chose some fabrics (nothing I'd want) and made a quilt. Partial seams, setting triangles, etc. No quilting. We tie the prayer quilts.
    Name:  100_0177.JPG
Size:  1.24 MB
    Nothing like jumping into the deep end, Rose! Pretty!

Name:  IMG_3193.jpg
Size:  38.5 KB

This one was my first, which my sister and I made together as a gift to my mom when she graduated from nursing school at the tender age of 57.

I don't remember exactly how we divvied up the duties, but I remember choosing the pattern, all the fabrics, cutting out a whole lot of little triangles, designing and sewing on the appliques by hand, and wondering if we'd ever finish it. Actually, I started the quilt when she started the nursing program. Probably asked my sister to pitch in some help because I was raising three kids under 4; quilting was a little much to squeeze in.

Not sure why it loaded sideways. It's a small file.
    Last edited by zozee; 06-02-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: tried to rotate picture.

Blog Entries

Cool

Even though I made my first quilt in 1976 and do not have pictures ( it was pretty funny) it was small - for my first born. An alphabet quilt I drew animals/ things for each letter on muslin squares, hand embroidered them and put it together with a medium/dark blue. She loved it, other people laughed at it-
    Some of my renditions didn’t really look much like the animal I was trying to create.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Here's mine.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 945
Size:  1.03 MB

My first one is long gone. I made it out of poly/cotton and tied it- not nearly enough. The batting fell apart in the wash--but my daughter carried that embarrassment around for years. She called it Pinkie! It was a bag of lumped batting! I refused to let it go to college with her!

Blog Entries
    Oh I don't have a picture of it but it was four patches. i sewed them together to make it reversible. then stuffed a bit of poly batting in each (or cut squares, can't remember) and slip stitched the opening closed. then what to do?? i zig zagged them all together in rows. turned out Queen size. Not a bad quilt, just unwieldy. Years later I gave it away. took up so much space! reversible with buttons on each side in center of all those four patches.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-06-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

My first quilt was a scrappy blue and yellow shaded nine patch, that I learned how to make watching Simply Quilts. It was king size and I wound up tying it because it was so big. I loved that quilt but gave it to my son when I went to a queen size bed, goodness only knows where it is now! I was trying to take a picture of a picture of it but sadly it is not giving me an option to do it. ��
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

My first quilt is still in blocks in a bin in my closet-therefore no picture yet!!! I took a beginning class for 6 weeks and did a couple of blocks each Saturday. I was hooked on quilting and knew I had found my niche that I love so much. Many years later and tons of fabrics and ideas, I still have not finished that very first quilt.
    I have finished a lot of quilts for grandbabies and relatives tho' and maybe this thread has inspired me to pull out my blocks and work on them. Thanks for the kick to get going.

My first quilt was started in the early 60's and it is a UFO. lol It's 9patch blocks and I have them-- just never put them together into anything. I hope to get to it. If I finish it, I could post a picture then. It's in a box somewhere, and I'll not search for it today. At the rate I'm going on it, it may be my last quilt! :-p

What my next quilt was, I don't remember. Early on, I did a log cabin that was a request from someone in Sweden. At the time, people there hadn't seen the 'American quilting craft' in person, and this woman was thrilled to have one. I made more than 24 quilts before the mid-seventies, because I remember I quit counting after I reached two dozen. No pictures of any of them. All gifts to give away, or to order for pay. Then my kids came, and I quit quilting for a long time.

I'd say my sewing ability is generally the same and my choice of design might be similar, but fabrics have changed a lot, and I rarely quilt by hand now, which is what I did then.

Jordan, I think I was typing at the same time as you. Funny that we both haven't finished our first quilt yet. :-)
    Last edited by givio; 06-03-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: to respond to Jordan's post

The first was a Christmas nine patch that was claimed by my sister, and the most recent is one that I copied from a picture I saw online. I still have not named this new top. First quilt was only tied, as I was too chicken to try to hand quilt it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Name:  63A592DA-DC4C-4860-B37A-9F1AE831C87B.jpeg
Views: 867
Size:  121.3 KB

Here is mine, blocks made on my embroidery machine. I also have a ufo baby quilt top that I did in an intro to quilting class last year, but seein as it’s not finished I think this one counts as being my first.
    Last edited by PamelaOry; 06-03-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Here's my first quilt. Name:  Birds.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  164.8 KB

Here's my last completed quilt, although I have a couple at the long arm quilter. Name:  QOV Quilt 1.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  379.9 KB 3 years between the two.

Blog Entries
    My first was 1974 and I had no idea how to applique. Sunbonnet Sue and sashing done with embroidery thread on top of turned edge.
    Working on a satin stitched yorkie.

Debbie
    Machine It

I already posted my first - here's my last, though two are in the works. Name:  20180426_144944 (2).jpg
Views: 731
Size:  958.8 KB

I started my first quilt in 1972 but finished it in 1986. I got sooo bored cutting all the pieces with a cardboard template and scissors, then sewing along the pencil lines. I set it aside for years at a time. Then I hand quilted it - that took a couple of years. It is 100% polyester! Anyway, no photo but I've enjoyed seeing what others have done.

Name:  1984fire_quilt.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  290.2 KB My first for my son. It is hand embroidery and machine quilted.

I finished my first quilt on my 59th birthday on October 12, 2010. It took a year to complete.

I did not sew before attempting this quilt. I read some books... The Complete Idiots Guide to Quiltling and Quilting for Dummies... got out my graph paper and designed this hand-quilted bedspread.

The first quilt I ever made was a tie quilt made of sheets and is long gone. This is the pieced/first machine quilted one I ever did....
    Name:  railfence.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  226.9 KB

Having to think about the last quilt I made I realized I haven't finished anything in awhile.

The last quilt I made was a painted wallhanging...
    Attachment 595436

Watson
    Last edited by Watson; 06-04-2018 at 04:29 AM.

Here are links

My first quilt:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...t-t107423.html

My last quilt wasn't very ambitious so this is a link to one of my best quilts:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...l-t270708.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast